How to Make Dua’

boy and father saying dua %photo

Muslim boy and father saying dua

Once, a ten-year-old boy was praying feverishly in prostration, “O Allah, the Most Merciful, the Magnificent, Make Faisalabad (a small city of Pakistan) the capital of Pakistan…”

His mother overheard him and asked, “Why would you pray so, my son?” The boy answered, “Well, Mama, we had a question on our final exam which asked, 'What is the capital of Pakistan?' and I mistakenly put 'Faisalabad' as my answer!"

Although we can laugh at the innocence of a child, his trust in his supplication to Allah (swt) and his belief that his prayer will be heard is admirable; as a matter of fact, it is ideal. We also should have that kind of trust, that Allah can do anything, and that if only turn to Him our pain will be soothed and our problems given solutions.

Allah (swt) states in the Quran (Umm Muhammad translation):

And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way. (Surat al-Baqara, 2:186)

The method and art of making dua:

Making dua in the court of Allah the Exalted is an art and has an etiquette which if considered, can result in the opening of many doors of Allah’s bliss and bounties. Some of the factors that help are listed below:

Praise Allah (swt) and call Him by His beautiful names and attributes before setting out to ask Him for favors. Indeed Allah is praiseworthy and never tires of hearing and fulfilling duas of all of His creatures. Allah (swt) states in the Quran:

Say: Call upon Allah or call upon, the Beneficent Allah; whichever you call upon, He has the best names; and do not utter your prayer with a very raised voice nor be silent with regard to it, and seek a way between these. (Surat al-Isra, 17:110)

Be Humble:

When you are praying, do not act as if you are enjoined the right to deserve whatever you are asking for. Make sure that you know that your Lord is the Most Gracious and you the Most Humble. Acknowledge your status before the Magnificent and do not be proud.
“Call your Lord humbly and secretly. He does not love those who transgress the boundaries.” (Sura al-Araf: 55)

Let Allah the Most High decide:

If you are asking for something which you really like, always remember that whatever you are asking for may not be always in the best interest. Allah (swt) states in the Quran:

“It may be that you hate something when it is good for you and it may be that you love something when it is bad for you. Allah (swt) knows and you know not.” (Sura al-Baqara, 2:216) Always let Allah (swt) decide what is right for you and what is wrong for you instead of implying or imposing that you know better.

Be articulate:

Make sure to spell out in clear words what you want exactly. It is true that Allah (swt) knows the secrets of the heart but He still wants you to pray and pray in an articulate manner. For example, all the sisters who want good husbands should not just suffice praying as such, “O Allah (swt), give us a good husband.” Though it may sound out-of-the-world, but it is true that there are brothers who are good looking, rich and possess an excellent character. A sister may ask for all three with all her heart, and she will inshallah get her wish, but it will be better if she knows the order of the features that she wants in her husband, i.e., a good character must come first and foremost.

young woman duaa %photo

Dua and Qadr (predestination) are both a part of Allah's plan

Believe in your dua:

The most critical factor in a dua being accepted or not, is the belief of the seeker in his or her supplication’s being accepted. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported, “The Messenger of Allah (PBUH), ‘The supplication of every one of His slaves will be granted as long as he does not get impatient and say, “I supplicated to my Rubb again and again but I do not think my prayer will be answered." [Al-Bukhari, Muslim].

Also, Allah (swt) Himself states, “Do not despair of solace from Allah (swt). No one despairs of solace from Allah except for people who disbelieve.” [Sura Yusuf, 87] Therefore, it is imperative that we do not grow hopeless of Allah (swt)’s Mercy but keep on praying consistently and with patience.

Pray when happy and sad:

Allah (swt) states at numerous places that a human being only remembers Him in the times of distress but forgets Him when he has tears of joy in his eyes. We all know that we do not feel good when our friends remember us in the times of distress but abandon us in the time of need. Though Allah (swt)’s Rahma is infinite and His forgiveness is boundless, yet He expects us to keep on praying even when He has given us good times. Therefore, we should never forget our Lord when our heart’s joys know no bounds or when we are shouting in exhileration.

Remember others during prayers:

Allah (swt) says: “And ask forgiveness for your sins and also for the sin of believing men and women.” (Sura Muhammad, 19)

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: “The dua of a Muslim for his brothers in his absence is readily accepted, an angel is appointed to his side, whenever he makes a beneficial dua for his brother, the angel says, ‘Ameen’, and May you be blessed with the same”. (Sahih Muslim).

So a great way of having a dua being accepted in your favor is to wish the same for your brother with all your heart and importune the Creater on his behalf. This way, not only will your dua be accepted, but you will become the cause of happiness of your brother as well.

Source: IslamicInspirations
Edited by IslamicAnswers.com for clarity

1. assalamualaikum warehmatullahi wa barakatahu ..

brothers and sisters please pray for me and my mother we are in great distres we need immediate prayers as our neighbours are trying to grab our genuine purchased land as they think we dont have a brother they think we are weak female family , my mother filed a case in court it was clear in our favour as we had genuine documents of land but the enemy bribed our lawyer and he backstabbed us and lost the case intentionally .now we have only one way left in these coming 3 daysif we could get the stay order from court then matter has chances to be in our favour again we could start with a new lawyer now pray for us ,my mother Dilshad that we could get the stay order inshaAllah .we are badly in need of everybodies support through duas pray to Allah for us so that we get the land back inshaAllah may Allah subhanwatallah help every mumin His every makhlooq including us ameen ..Jazak Allah Khair

• Assalamualaikom warahmutullahi wabarakatuhu,

May Allah swt protect you and your mother from your neighbours. InshaAllah your land will be protected and remain yours. You stated that you are both female with no male members, just remember that Allah swt is your Protector.. May Allah swt be with you both.

• may allah help you and your mom in whichevrr way he wishes because.truly allah knows best.just remember sister, keep your trust and faith in al raheem

• Is everything ok now ? Am sorry i just read this today, but its never late to pray so i am praying for you and your family..dear sister. ALLAH is great, the CREATOR (swt)

2. Asalaamalaikum sister

Sorry to hear regards to your property my duas are with you inshallah

3. Allah with you & you will get your own land.........

4. salam brothers and sisters pls i prayer to be doing to beable to pass my exams,bcs i always fail.

• khadijat, in the future please do not put your email address in the URL field. Every time you do, I have to delete it manually.

5. Salam I am a Muslim and my husband is Muslim also he is same age as me I do everything he says to me and still he hits me beats me up if I tel him to do some thing like shut the laptop at 5am as I want to sleep, he swears at my dad and he past away a few years ago in the process of me getting with my husband he disapproved of him. He is also racist to me calls me a sikh as I was one before. I am feeling so alone and depressed as I don't talk to my family because of him and they have moved somewhere in England now.I know he's wrong to be with as he beats me up and talks to other woman al day on the Internet hlwhat shall I do.

• Satveer, I realize that your situation is awful and distressing. Please log in and write your question as a separate post, and we'll answer it soon Insha'Allah. Also give us more details about your situation and resources.

• walaikumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu .

please keep praying.

may Allah make it easy for us.

6. Dear editors,

Can any one of you explain me this dua meaning please

Allahumma inni al-aloka afwa wal afiyata wal muafatad-daimata fid dunya wal

Thank you
    Nadia

7. salam alai kum , brothers' and sisters' , pls pray for me, i m in a tight situation... where Allah swt can only help me.. a little help from u guys by remembering me in ur duas... could really do Wonders for me ,Inshallah

• E slaam e lekaam can u al Muslim brothers and sisters do dua for my son and husband they hav case hearing on 14 th January pls do dua they are cleared and they com back home to a good life .jazakallah .

8. Yesterday I went to visit my grandmother grave it is only Muslim grave( in Australia, did bring her for treatment but she didn't survive long) I was sitting in the car my husband went and make some dua. When my husband entre it started to rain havy and came in the car then he said it's not possible then I said wait little while we were waiting I saw a dog was sitting on my grandmother grave I started to cry then I told my husband to move that dog I am not liking it.my husband went in that havy rain and moved that dog then he make some dua was raining so bad then we came home I still feel that that dog will come again! What is thatean I am feeling so sad and afraid. Because when my grandmother died she did suffer alot I did see the pain in her face I always cry when I make dua for her. I didn't told my mother about this my mother lives in my home country she will be very sad if I tell her.

Can anyone help me please? Any dua I can react to peace my mind? 

9. "What is that mean "sorry mistake

10. Can any editors suggest me what to do?

11. salamu alaikum,please i need dua this ramadan.bcos the guy am to get married to says he wont marry me bcos am travelling. i want to marry him before i go and i will get the visa soon. i pray for them to give me more than 2 years so i can stay marry and stay with him before i go.......i really need this dua real bad............please help me.............

12. Salams my brothers and sisters....inshallah please keep me in dua prayers for I have taken my Nclex nursing boards several times unsuccessfully and I am now taking it again in the upcoming week....shukran....Allahu Akbar!!!!!!!

13. dear brothers and sisters,
    please do make duas for me, as i am 6 months pregnant now and my husband left me at my mothers place and doesn't talk to me or even come and see me.this is because his sister got married to my brother and my brother has not taken his sister because of the delay in visa.We liked each other and got married,but now he is ignoring me completely and his mother and sister are trying to separate us.i feel so alone without him and i know i shouldn't be sad because this will affect my unborn child as well.please let me know,if there are any duas.

• (farhkhan, please log in and write your question as a separate post, thank you. My short answer to you is your husband should not allow your marriage to be affected by whatever happens between his sister and your brother. He should take you to his home and live with you properly as husband and wife. Make dua' to Allah, and He will help you, Insha'Allah. - IslamicAnswers.com Editor)

14. Salam aliakum. I am a Muslima in need of Allahs protection and guidance . He is the exalted, the merciful, the beneficent, mashallah. I am going through a situation with my foreign husband. He wants a divorce while in the process of receiving and American visa. To make matters worse I have to kids, and 2 year old and a 2 month old. Alhamdilillah, I am grateful for all Allah has given me, but only He ( swt) knows best. Please keep me in your duas, for I will keep you in mine. And may Allah give us purity in our heart and forgive all our sins. Salam aliakum.

15. Salam aliakum...

I converted to islam recentily and would ask if anyone can make a dua for me to relif me from my debts.

thank you

• Well come to Islam brother, I will pray for you iA that Allah (swt) provide you with means to pay off your debts iA. Amin.

Muhammad1982,
      Editor, IslamicAnswers.com

• Wa Alaikum as Salaam brother,

I welcome you to Islam :)

Our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam has taught us the following dua to overcome debts:

Allaahummak-finee bihalaalika ‘an haraamika wa ‘aghninee bifadhlika ‘amman siwaaka.

“O Allah, suffice me with what You
      have allowed instead of what You
      have forbidden , and make me
      independent of all others besides
      You.”

(At-Tirmithi 5/560. See also Al-Albani, Sahih At-Tirmithi 3/180.)

Narrated by Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri (Radiyallahu Anhu):

One day the Messenger of Allah ( Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam ) entered the mosque. He saw there a man from the Ansar (a resident of Madinah) called Abu Umamah and said to him:

“What is the matter that I am seeing you sitting in the mosque when there is no time of prayer?”

Abu Umamah said: “I am entangled in sorrow and debts.” The Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam ) replied: “Shall I not teach you words by which, when you say them, Allah will remove your sorrow, and settle your debts?” Abu Umamah said: “Yes, Messenger of Allah.”

The Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam ) said: “Say in the morning and evening:

Allahumma inni ‘auzu bika min alhamma wal ‘huzn, wal ‘ajzi wal kasali wal bukhli wal jubn, wa dhala’iddini wa ‘galabatir rajaal.”

‘O Allah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being overpowered by men.’

Abu Umamah said:

“When I did that Allah removed my distress and settled my debt.” [Abu Dawood]

Muhammad Waseem

16. Salam aliakum... hi, brother and sisters ... i converted my self to islam in faith ... is there a proper way to convert to islam? how and where? do i need a proper baptismal, i hope you i understand what i asking?

thanks
    gerry

• Wa'alaykumsalam,

Congratulations for accepting Islam and we welcome you to this beautiful religion and may you find peace, success and happiness within it.

Once you've believed that,
      -God is One. He has no partner nor a son or daughter. He is One in the true sense of the word that has no room for the concept of trinity.
      -The Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is the last Messenger of Allah.
      -The Holy Qur'an is the last of the divine books revealed upon the blessed Messenger of Allah (Pecae be upon him).
      -The life in the Hereafter (after death) is eternal, where one will face the fate of his good and evil deeds.
      -All the teachings of the Qur'an and the Messenger of Allah (Pecae be upon him) in absolute and unambiguous terms are true and acceptable.

Then you just have to say the ' SHAHADAH ' with clarity, firm belief and understanding.

- " Ash-hadu an la ilaha ill Allah Wa ash-hadu ana Muhammad ar-rasullallah" which means "I bear witness that there is no God but Allah,and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger."

Once you say the shahadah to yourself, you are already muslim in the eyes of Allah and so you may also say the shahada in a masjid or Islamic community centre so that people within your community will recognize you as a muslim which is also important.

Regarding 'baptisim' in Islam, no we don't have it in a christian sense but we have something called 'aqiqah' for new born child.

If you are a male then circumcision is necessary.

• Good day brother,

thanks for the info... just clarification when you say i must also say the shahada in masjid? how can i do that? do i need to get in-touch with one of the islamic community near my place. Sorry if ask too many question i really don't know what im going to do.

thanks
        gerry

• Gerry you can ask as many questions until you are satisfied about how to go about it.

The shahadah in masjid is intended to make it known to the local Muslims that you have become their brother. They would also give you a certificate of accepting Islam. It is not a necessity that you accept Islam in a masjid you can do that anywhere.

And welcome again, to the only Religion acceptable with Allah. May Allah reward you with nothing less than His Pleasure and His Paradise. Ameen.

Should you want to learn about something and need our help, I request you to submit a new post which shall be published in turn in sha Allah.

Abu Abdul Bari

17. As-salam-alaikum-wa rehmatullah-wa- barakatu,
    i urge all of u to pray for my 12th board results and my medical entrance exam so that i pass it and get admission in a college i want.....plzzz remember me in ur prayers ....... i have full confidence in my Allah(swt) that he will listen to me as He (swt) always does .....i m blessed with every thing nd i thank my Allah (swt) Ar-rehman Ar-rahim for that al though i have done so many sins bt Allah(swt) always forgives me thankyou Allah(swt) for everything thnxxxx alot .......plzzz ya rabul alameen listen to my prayer this tym again plzz all brothers and sisters pray fr my results both boards and entrance.. plzzz.... and even for my friends and classmates tooo tht we get a 100% results plzzzzz....

18. Please mention that which are the best times for acceptance of Dua?

19. Assalamualaikom warahmutullahi wabarakatuhu, Brothers and Sisters, all your dua's are in my thoughts. Insh'Allah, MUSLIMS WILL WIN !! My fellow people, please can you make dua for me.. My self esteem is very low at the moment. I feel I am a bad person trapped. And also I am in a police situation... Please can you make dua for me and my family and Insh'Allah, Allah SWT will answer them and yours. I thank Allah for everything I have got. Thank you my dear brothers and sisters.
    Assalamualaikom warahmutullahi wabarakatuhu,

20. Can everyone pray for my husband to get his visa very distressing times

21. assalamualaikum warehmatullahi wa barakatahu ..

May I please ask you all to make Dua for me and my daughter. My ex husband would like to stop me from re marrying a very good Muslim man. He doesn't want Islam influence in my daughter.

22. I am a married man with two kids. However, I am in alot sins that i feel I cannot get rid off. Two major sins that i am involved in are pornography and smoking. I have tried hard to get out of both of these sins but have not achieved success. I started watching porn as a teen and since then have not been able to rid myself off this sin. I do not watch tv, pray five times a day and there have been times I have prayed Quraan on a consistent basis, watched islamic lectures, but have still not been able to get rid of this evilness from myself. I started smoking two years ago and since then its been on and off without successfully getting rid of this. If i stop smoking then I start to chew tobacco and have tried to get off this too as it is equally ifnot worse than smoking. I approach you to make dua, for me and the muslims who are effected by this evilness, for Allah's help in stopping this from being a reason for unhappiness in this world and the hereafter. Please make dua for me. May Allah give you the strength and ability and reward to continue doing what you are doing. May Allah accept all our dua's. Please, please help me with your dua's, I am very much unhappy and frustrated but keep failing at this. I do not want the effects of this to affect me in my future and more importantly my family especially my two girls. Jazakhallahul khair

23. Assalam walekum guys m married to aguy from last 4 yrs in starting everything was gud bt slowly slowly every thing changed.He do not work u do job bt instead of appreciating me he doubts on me beats me accuses me and my family he blames me for aal the wrong things which I hv nt even done I m really very frustated now and want to get seperated wid him plz tell me any dua or any suggestion to grt rid of him plz plz plz help me guys mbin a big problem.

• ashifa, it is inexcusable for a husband to beat his wife. I agree that you should leave him. If you have a place to go (to your parents for example) then simply pack your bags and leave.

If you need more advice, please log in and write your question as a separate post, thank you.

24. Ya dear I also want to do that only bt I don't want to leave or waste all of the household things bcoz I hv collected and purchased them with my very hardly earned money he was not having anything not even a single glass also that I why I want any dua or anything which can make him to leave me by himself bcoz he will not let me go so suggest me something so that be only leaves me himself

25. Aaslam walkuim brothers and sisters

Our truck has been stolen, me and my father is searching it from 4 days but we did not find any clue, i request you all to make Dua for us, so Allah may return what is lost.

If any mistakes kindly forgiveme

shafee

26. Can anyone tell me any dua to make my love come back to me

27. Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh. My dear brothers & sisters, I ask you in the name of Allah (swt) please do duaa for my friend's mother who is really not well, currently in a critical condition in hospital, plz do dua as Allah will hear someone somewhere. Wherever you are, plead from the bottom of your heart to do dua for her mother Jazak Allah khayr

28. IS THERE ANY ONE GUIDE ME ABUT DUA.. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SHULD BE THE STYLE OF DUA OF A MUSLIM... WITH AUTHANTIC REFFERANCE

29. salamm alakum all.... please please make dua for my brother who has gone missing for 7 days now my family is in bits over him ...i dont no whos dua will be answered by allah so please i beg for you all to make dua for hes safe return home.......

30. Asalamuaalkum ,just an update thank u for all ur duas ny brother has saftely return u r all in my duas ,im very grateful to allah i neva prayed so hard in my life thanks b to allah ,an thanks to all who prayed x