Okra Casserole (Bamya
This recipe serves four people
- 2 Package of frozen, cut Bamya
- 2 Lb of cut lamb meat (you may use beef) cut into 1/2-1 inch
- 1 medium onion (fine chopped)
- 2 crushed and fine chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbs oil (to counteract the high fat in lamb)
- 2 diced bell peppers
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Heat the oil and sautee the onions and garlic till the onions
- Drop the the meat and brown it, here if you care for for
your diet and weight you may drain the fat other wise do not
(I prefer the latter), add the contents of the paste with one
can full of water.
- Simmer until the the tomato boils and thickens a bit drop
the Okra, bell pepper and simmer on low till done.
- I always like my food to bite me back so I use a dash or
cayanne pepper to make it hot.
- Enjoy it.
How to eat it A l' Omran:
- Do not eat it in same day, eat it the following day so the
flavour is better.
- Add a few dashes of lime juice (freshly squeezed) and eat
the first bowl with whole wheat Egyptian Pita (or Nan if you
know an Indian grocery).
- The second bowl I eat mixed with nice white rice.
Say Bismillah and eat!