How to Make Your Wife Happy
by Sheikh Mohammed Abdelhaleem Hamed
(NOTE: To help strengthening the Muslim families and spread
the teachings of Islam
in building families, the Muslim Students' Association at the
Alberta prepared a extremely summarized translation for two books.
books are Arabic by Sheikh Mohammad Abdelhaleem Hamed. An Egyptian
who graduated from the Islamic University of AlMadinah Al-Munawwarah
Saudi Arabia. The two books are:
1- How to make your wife happy
2- How to make your husband happy
They exceed the traditional presentation of stating rights and
duties to the 'Adab (good
manners) and extend into application of these rights in daily
following summary highlights mainly the responsibilities or examples
could or should be done. Every single item mentioned by the author
supported by evidences from Qur'an, Sunnah or the actions of
but evidences are omitted in this translation.)
1. Beautiful Reception
After returning from work, school, travel, or whatever has separated
* begin with a good greeting.
* Start with Assalamau 'Aliaykum and a smile. Salam is a sunnah
and a du'aa for her as well.
* Shake her hand and leave bad news for later!
2. Sweet Speech and Enchanting Invitations
* Choose words that are positive and avoid negative ones.
* Give her your attention when you speak of she speaks.
* Speak with clarity and repeat words if necessary until she
* Call her with the nice names that she likes, e.g. my sweet-heart,
honey, saaliha, etc.
3. Friendliness and Recreation
* Spend time talking together.
* Spread to her goods news.
* Remember your good memories together.
4. Games and Distractions
* Joking around & having a sense of humor.
* Playing and competing with each other in sports or whatever.
* Taking her to watch permissible (halal) types of entertainment.
* Avoiding prohibited (haram) things in your choices of entertainment.
5. Assistance in the Household
* Doing what you as an individual can/like to do that helps out,
especially if she is sick or tired.
* The most important thing is making it obvious that he appreciates
her hard work.
6. Consultation (Shurah)
* Specifically in family matters.
* Giving her the feeling that her opinion is important to you.
* Studying her opinion carefully.
* Be willing to change an opinion for hers if it is better.
* Thanking her for helping him with her opinions.
7. Visiting Others
* Choosing well raised people to build relations with. There
is a great reward in visiting relatives and pious people. (Not
in wasting time while visiting!)
* Pay attention to ensure Islamic manners during visits.
* Not forcing her to visit whom she does not feel comfortable
8. Conduct During Travel
* Offer a warm farewell and good advice.
* Ask her to pray for him.
* Ask pious relatives and friends to take care of the family
in your absence.
* Give her enough money for what she might need.
* Try to stay in touch with her whether by phone, e-mail, letters,
* Return as soon as possible.
* Bring her a gift!
* Avoid returning at an unexpected time or at night.
* Take her with you if possible.
9. Financial Support
* The husband needs to be generous within his financial capabilities.
He should not be a miser with his money (nor wasteful).
* He gets rewards for all what he spends on her sustenance even
for a small piece of bread that he feeds her by his hand (hadeith).
* He is strongly encouraged to give to her before she asks him.
10. Smelling Good and Physical Beautification
* Following the Sunnah in removing hair from the groin and underarms.
* Always being clean and neat.
* Put on perfume for her.
* It is obligatory to do it habitually if you have no excuse
* Start with "Bismillah" and the authentic du'a.
* Enter into her in the proper place only (not the anus).
* Begin with foreplay including words of love.
* Continue until you have satisfied her desire.
* Relax and joke around afterwards.
* Avoid intercourse during the monthly period because it haram
* Do what you can to avoid damaging her level of Hiyaa (shyness
and modesty) such as taking your clothes together instead of
asking her to do it first while he is looking on.
* Avoid positions during intercourse that may harm her such as
putting pressure on her chest and blocking her breath, especially
if you are heavy.
* Choose suitable times for intercourse and be considerate as
sometimes she maybe sick or exhausted.
12. Guarding Privacy
* Avoid disclosing private information such as bedroom secrets,
her personal problems and other private matters.
13. Aiding in the Obedience to Allah
* Wake her up in the last third of the night to pray "Qiam-ul-Layl"
(extra prayer done at night with long sujood and ruku'ua).
* Teach her what you know of the Qur'an and its tafseer.
* Teach her "Dhikr" (ways to remember Allah by the
example of the prophet) in the morning and evening.
* Encourage her to spend money for the sake of Allah such as
in a charity sale.
* Take her to Hajj and Umrah when you can afford to do so.
14. Showing Respect for her Family and Friends
* Take her to visit her family and relatives, especially her
* Invite them to visit her and welcome them.
* Give them presents on special occasions.
* Help them when needed with money, effort, etc..
* Keep good relations with her family after her death if she
Also in this case the husband is encouraged to follow the sunnah
and keep giving what she used to give in her life to her friends
15. (Islamic) Training & Admonition
* The basics of Islam
* Her duties and rights
* Reading and writing
* Encouraging her to attend lessons and halaqahs
* Islamic rules (ahkam) related to women
* Buying Islamic books and tapes for the home library
16. Admirable Jealousy
* Ensure she is wearing proper hijab before leaving house.
* Restrict free mixing with non-mahram men.
* Avoiding excess jealousy. Examples of this are:
1- Analyzing every word and sentence she says and overloading
her speech by meanings that she did not mean.
2- Preventing her from going out of the house when the reasons
3- Preventing her from answering the phone.
17. Patience and Mildness
* Problems are expected in every marriage so this is normal.
What is wrong is excessive responses and magnifying problems
until a marital breakdown.
* Anger should be shown when she exceeds the boundaries of Allah
SWT, by delaying prayers, backbiting, watching prohibited scenes
on TV, etc..
* Forgive the mistakes she does to you (See item 18).
* How can you best correct her mistakes?
1- First, implicit and explicit advice several times.
2- Then by turning your back to her in bed (displaying your feelings).
Note that this does not include leaving the bedroom to another
room, leaving the house to another place, or not talking with
3- The last solution is lightly hitting (when allowable) her.
(Zawaj.com Editor's note: We do NOT
agree with or endorse this particar suggestion. We are printing
this article as it was written, however we believe that striking
a woman is not an acceptable solution to problems. In fact, it
contradicts all of the other advice offered in this article.)
In this case, the hsuband should consider the following: - He
should know that sunnah is to avoid beating as the Prophet
PBUH never beat a woman or a servant. - He should do it only
in extreme cases of disobedience, e.g. refusing intercourse without
cause frequently, constantly not praying on time, leaving the
house for long periods of time without permission nor refusing
to tell him where she had been, etc.
- It should not be done except after having turned from her bed
and discussing the matter with her as mentioned in Qur'an.
- He should not hit her hard injuring her, or hit her on her
face or on sensitive parts of her body.
- He should avoid shaming her such as by hitting her with a shoe,
18. Pardoning and Appropriate Censure
* Accounting her only for larger mistakes.
* Forgive mistakes done to him but account her for mistakes done
in Allah's rights, e.g. delaying prayers, etc..
* Remember all the good she does whenever she makes a mistake.
* Remember that all humans err so try to find excuses for her
such as maybe she is tired, sad, having her monthly cycle or
that her commitment to Islam is growing.
* Avoid attacking her for the bad cooking of the food as the
Prophet PBUH never blamed any of his wives for this. If he likes
the food, he eats and if he doesn't then he does not eat and
does not comment.
* Before declaring her to be in error, try other indirect approaches
that are more subtle than direct accusations.
* Escape from using insults and words that may hurt her feelings.
* When it becomes necessary to discuss a problem wait until you
have privacy from others.
* Waiting until the anger has subsided a bit can help to keep
a control on your words.
Finally, please make Du'a for the writer; Sheikh Mohammad Abdelhaleem
for the translator brother Abu Talhah and for reviewer Br. Adam
Qurashi. Remember this is not a perfect translation so forgive
us our faults and correct our errors.
Muslim Students' Association
University of Alberta