Can I Name My Daughter: Lila?

sleeping baby, baby

What should her name be?

Can I name my daughter Lila? I've read it is a variation of the name Laila, is this correct?

~ SisterBibi

Tagged as: , ,

1. as long as the name has no bad or polytheic meaning.
    Lila sounds nice. In my opinion,yes you can. Name her Lila.

2. Salamualaikum,

I don't know what the name means. But even I read that it was a south Asian variant of Laylah (which literally means night). Allahu A'lam.

Muhammad Waseem

3. according to my research it has quite a few meanings ...

Persian: Dark haired beauty, night
    Sanskrit: Divine play
    Swahili: Good

Simple spelling for Leila.
    As a Sanskrit name, Lila [lee-LAH] was the name of a queen who was enlightened by the Goddess Saraswati.

Lila (Sanskrit: लीला), or Leela is a concept within Hinduism literally meaning "pastime", "sport" or "play". It is common to both monistic and dualistic philosophical schools, but has a markedly different significance in each. Within monism, Lila is a way of describing all reality, including the cosmos, as the outcome of creative play by the divine absolute (Brahman). In the dualistic schools of Vaishnavism, Lila more simply refers to the activities of God and his devotees, as distinct from the common activities of karma.

Source(s):

http://www.babynamesworld.com

.... so im not really sure if u should name her leela, u should ask someone knowledgeable, may be submit ur concern on islamqa website in shaa Allaah theyll answer u, or give her another name if ur not sure 🙂

• Your research is backed up this website:

http://wiki.name.com/en/Lila

Based on this research, I would say that this is not an acceptable name for a Muslim. This concept of the universe having been as a playground for the gods is rejected by Islam, obviously.

Name her Leila, if you like. But stay away from names with ambiguous meanings.

IslamicAnswers.com Eidtor

4. Yes.