Islamic marriage advice and family advice

Questions about the validity of my previous marriage

law fiqh marriage divorce

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Brothers and Sisters,

Please enlighten me. I was married in 2006 in a Catholic Church in the Philippines. From 2007, my husband and I did not live together due to a lot of things. I converted to Islam last July 2014. Can you please advise me whom to ask because I want legal papers to be legally separated from that man.


Tagged as: , ,

3 Responses »

  1. Assalamo Alaikom.
    For as long as there is no court decision for the legality or validity of your marriage, the same is still binding.

    [Personal details removed.]

  2. Dear Sister Judi.

    Alhamdulillah and welcome to the Muslim world.

    Your marriage in 2006 in a Catholic Church in our country is governed by Family Code of the Philippines.

    Now, if you want to have your marriage severed, then you have to file an annulment in the court which is tedious and costly.

    However, since you are converted to Islam then you can seek divorce in the Sharia’ah Circuit Courts which were established pursuant to Presidential Decree 1083, otherwise known as “The Code of Muslim Personal Laws in the Philippines”. The process on divorce under this law is simple, quick and not costly.

    [Edited to remove personal contact details: Please note that it is not permitted to share personal contact information on this site.]

    Thank you

  3. Assalaamualaikam

    Welcome to Islam, sister. May Allah guide you to stay on the straight path and find peace.

    As the poster above has mentioned, the Philippines has a Presidential Decree which allows Islamic legal proceedings to be part of the country's national legal system - "The Code of Muslim Personal Laws". Under this, you may well be able to legally separate from your husband. I'd advise that you speak with a lawyer in the Philippines who is familiar with the use of this Code.

    Midnightmoon editor

Leave a Response