Dua’ for one who is sick

Muslim boy and father saying dua

Muslim boy and father saying dua

What dua' can one say for a person who is sick? For example, a parent for a sick child? Or for any family member or friend who is ill? Or even a dua' for a sick person to say for himself?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) has taught us things in such cases in which there is healing and a lessening of sickness, as well as reward. That is part of Allah s mercy towards this blessed ummah and the Prophet's care for it. He is the one whom Allah described as (interpretation of the meaning):

Verily, there has come unto you a Messenger (Muhammad saws) from amongst yourselves. It grieves him that you should receive any injury or difficulty. He is anxious over you; for the believers (he is) full of pity, kind, and merciful. [al-Tawbah 9:128]

Among the things that he taught us are the following:

1 ‒ Reciting al-Faatihah

It was narrated from Abu Sa eed al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah beupon him) described Soorat al-Faatihah as a ruqyah, and he approved of the Sahaabi who recited it as a ruqyah for the one who had been stung by a scorpion.

- Al-Bukhaari (2156) and Muslim (2201).

Ibn al-Qayyim said about reciting Soorat al-Faatihah:

"There was a time when I fell sick in Makkah, and I could not find a doctor or any medicine, so I treated myself by reciting it. I would take some Zamzam water and recite it over it several times, then drink it. I recovered fully by these means, then I began to do that whenever I felt alot of pain, and I benefited greatly from it."

- Zaad al-Ma aad (4/164).

2. "Lord of the Magnificent Throne"

The following dua' is given in "Fortress of the Muslim", to be recited for one who is ill:

Dua for sickness and ill health

Dua for sickness and ill health

Transliteration:  'As'alullaahal-'Adheema Rabbal-'Arshil-'Adheemi 'an yashfiyaka.

Meaning: I ask Almighty Allah , Lord of the Magnificent Throne, to make you well. (Recite seven times in Arabic)

Reference: At-Tirmithi, Abu Dawud. See also Al-Albani, Sahih At-Tirmithi 2/210 and Sahihul-Jami' As-Saghir 5/180.

3 ‒ "You are the Healer"

It was narrated from Aa'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) that when any of us fell sick, the Messenger of Allah (peaceand blessings of Allah be upon him) would wipe him with his right hand then say: "Adhhib il-ba's, Rabbi l-naas washfi anta al-Shaafi laa shifaa ailla shifaa uka shifaa an laa yughaadir saqaman. (Remove the harm, O Lord of humankind and heal him, for You are the Healer and there is no healing except Your healing, with a healing which does not leave any disease behind)."

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5675) and Muslim (2191).

4 ‒ Al Mu'awidhatayn (Surat Al-Falaq and Surat An-Naas)

It was narrated that Aa'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: "If one of his family fell sick, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would blow over him and recite al-Mu'awwidhaat. When he fell sick with his final illness, I started to blow over him and wipe him with his own hand, because it was more blessed than my hand."

Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5735) and Muslim (2192).

5 ‒ Bismillah and dua'

It was narrated from Uthmaan ibn Abi l- Aas al-Thaqafi that he complained to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) about some pain that he had felt in his body since he became Muslim. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to him: "Put your hand on the part of your body that hurts and say: 'Bismillaah' (in the name of Allah) three times, then say seven times: 'I seek refuge in Allah and His Power from the evil of what I find and I fear.'"

- Narrated by Muslim (2202).

6 ‒ "In the Name of Allah I perform ruqyah"

It was narrated from Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) that Jibreel came to the Prophet (pbuh) and said: "O Muhammad, are you sick?" He said: "Yes." He said: "In the name of Allah I perform ruqyah foryou, from everything that is harming you, from the evil of every soul or envious eye may Allah heal you, in the name of Allah I perform ruqyah for you."

- Narrated by Muslim (2186).

7. ‒ "Allah Who is in heaven"

It was narrated that Abul-Darda (may Allaah be pleasedwith him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings ofAllaah be upon him) say: "Whoever among you suffers some sickness, or his brother suffers some sickness, let him say: 'Our Lord Allah Who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your will is done in heaven and on earth; as Your mercy is in heaven, bestow it upon the earth. Forgive us our sins. You are the Lord of the good. Send down Your mercy and healing upon this pain'; and he will be healed."

- Narrated by Abu Dawood (3892); classed as saheeh by al-Haakim in al-Mustadrak (4/243) and as hasan by IbnTaymiyah in Majmoo al-Fataawa (3/139).7

It was narrated from Ibn Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (pbuh) said: "The one who visits a sick person who is not dying, and says seven times in his presence, 'I ask Allah the Almighty, the Lord of the Mighty Throne, to heal you', Allah will heal him from that sickness."

- Narrated byAbu Dawood (3106); classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi in al-Adhkaar (p.180) and by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

While reciting these ruqyahs over someone, for example your sick child, you should wipe your hand over his face, chest and stomach, as the Prophet (pbuh) used to do, and you should sit near your child's head so that you will be breathing over him as you recite the page. There is nothing wrong with blowing lightly onto his face with a little saliva while doing that.

Ibn al-Qayyim said: "The ruqyah comes from the heart and mouth of the one who is reciting ruqyah, so if it is accompanied with some of his saliva and breath, that will have a stronger effect." - Zaad al-Ma aad (4/164).

Over and above all that there must be sincerity towards Allah in the du'aa , and sincere turning to Him and humility before Him, and one should seek out the times when prayers are answered, for when a person raises his hand to Allah in du'aa, Allah is reluctant that the person should remain empty-handed. Do not be hasty in seeking a response, for Allah may delay the answer for a reason that is known to Him, so you should be patient and have certain faith. Remember that the Prophet (pbuh) said: "Call upon Allah when you are certain of receiving a response, and remember that Allah does not answer a du'aa that comes from a heedless heart."

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (3479);classed as hasan by al-Shawkaani in Tuhfat al-Shaakireen (68) and byal-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (594).

1. InshaAllah this will be very helpful

2. as salaam u alaikum I have a 16 day old grandson who has had a difficult birth I need a specific dua for him as he cannot suck or swallow

3. Assalamualaikum.
    My mom is suffering frm paralysis and recovering slowly but her diabetes is not getting in control which Dua shld i read n blow on her.
    Please help me

• Dear Brother/Sister in Islam,

You can say the following dua from the Sunnah:

Allahumma rabbi-nas adhabal ba'sa, ashfi wa entashafi, la shifa' illa shifa' uka shifa' la yughadiru saqama (Oh Allah! The Sustainer of mankind! Remove the illness, cure the disease. You are the one who cures. There is no cure except your cure. Grant us a cure that leaves no illness.)

May Allah heal your mom and give her comfort in this life and in the hereafter.

Salam,

Nor

4. Salaam alaikum brother and sister I have 7 years old boy who have autism ASD he doesn't talk he also have problem with eating and sleeping I want to know if there is any wazeefa or duva for autism. jazakAllah

5. Jazaakallhal khair

6. Salam Dear Brother/Sisters

A few hours ago, I woke up to screams that my 6 year old precious sister was having a seizure and couldn't talk. Her eyes were crying for help but.... she just couldn't talk. Im in shock.

You don't know how much I love her. She means everything to me.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY DUAHS FOR HER

Please keep her in your prayers and INSHALLAH everything will be okay.

7. Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for supplying this
    info.

8. Everyone please pray for my grandmother. She is really sick and weak. She cant walk, eat or drink properly. She is very nausous. Doctor checked her, everything was fine. But doctors found small tumor/cyst kind of thing in her liver. Today she had a CT scan, only then doctor can understand what has happened, whether it is small cysts which can be treated by medecine or whether if its cancerous. I cried a lot these days. She cant eat or drink properly. She cant even walk without help. I really hope and pray so if the results are positive. Please everyone do pray for her so if her results come out positive and she gets well soon. Allah is the best.

9. Assalamu alykum i humbly request from all muslim brothers and sisters in islam , please make dua for Saleh, one of islami bro that he lost in yemen war from one year, his famly s in bad condition i request u all please for Allah's sake pray for him for his saftey and return,back ...in sha Allah .. please!!!!
    JazakaAllah khairan .. May Allah grant all of your prayers aameen.

10. My love is ill she is not telling her cause of illness and she is not telling anyone about it not even her family please tell me what to read to make her heal again in the name of Allah