Wazifa in Islam

Wazifa or numerology?

Does "Wazifa" belong to Islam or is it simply numerology?

By MidnightMoon, IslamicAnswers.com Editor

1: What Does ‘Wazifa’ Mean?

The translation of the Arabic word ‘wazifa’ into English means “to employ”. However, the term wazifa is more commonly used to refer to the practice of reciting some verses or phrases to seek a specific favour or reward. In Sufism, the term refers to the evocation of qualities of Allah by reciting or meditating on some or all of the 99 Names of Allah.

2: What is the Difference Between Wazifa and Du’a?

When we make du’a, we can either use our own words, or use verses or phrases that have been recommended to us and practised by The Prophet (peace be upon him), which are included in the established Sunnah. Information about du’a can be found in our many articles on Dua', such as Dua' in Islam.

But in wazifa, even though the words or phrases may be taken from Islamic texts (including from the Quran), the way in which they are being used does not have a basis in the Sunnah. The thinking behind wazifa is that saying something a particular number of times for a particular number of days will somehow grant us a specific reward or favour.

3: What are the Problems with Wazifa? Why is it Not Recommended?

There are several reasons why we should not use wazifa and should instead make du’a. These include:

1) Allah is not a vending machine! As Muslims, we recognise and accept that Allah is All-Knowing and All-Powerful, and that He alone knows what will be best for us in this life and the next. The idea that we can dictate or change Qadar through rituals that have no basis in Islamic teachings, is contrary to this and so we need to reject this idea.

2) Wazifa is either self-prescribed or prescribed by a self-proclaimed ‘expert’, and does not have its basis in the established Sunnah – it is bid’ah (an innovation). We are told by The Prophet (peace be upon him) to avoid innovating matters of our deen:

“He who innovates something in this matter of ours [Islam] that is not of it will have it rejected [by Allah].” {Bukhari, Muslim}

And he said:

“Verily, he among you who lives long will see great controversy, so you must keep to my Sunnah and to the Sunnah of the Khulafaa’ ar-Rashideen, those who guide to the right way. Cling to it stubbornly. Beware of newly invented matters [in the religion], for verily every bid’ah is misguidance.” {Abu Dawood, Tirmidi}

And he said:

“On the Day of Judgement, some people will come to me when I will be standing by Haudh-e-Kauser. They will be grabbed and taken towards the Hellfire. I shall say: “These are my people”, but in reply I will be told: “These are the people who introduced innovations after you, so they are unbelievers”.” {Bukhari, Muslim}

3) Often, the people or websites claiming to have wazifas available for various situations, will also state that certain other conditions must be fulfilled in order for the wazifa to work. Examples of conditions might include:-

• charging money for the wazifa.
  • requiring the person doing the wazifa to send requests for rewards to be given to a particular person (eg. the person providing the wazifa) in order for the wazifa to be “valid” or accepted.
  • insisting that the wazifa must or should be done at a particular site, such as at the grave of a particular person.
  • claiming that any wazifa will need to be “approved” by another person (eg. the person providing the wazifa) before it can be received by Allah.

Islam teaches that we should pray to Allah directly, and not ascribe partners to Him. At best, some of these conditions may take advantage of people in need. At worst, they may approach shirk and go against the principles of Islam.

4: What Should We Do?

We should avoid wazifas and other practices that aren’t based in Islamic teachings. Instead, we should try to follow the examples set for us by the Prophets and Messengers of Allah (peace be upon them all) and the guidance laid out in the Quran and Sunnah:

1) Hasten to do good deeds and to follow Islam.

‘Do no mischief on the earth, after it has been set in order, but call on Him with fear and longing (in your hearts): for the Mercy of Allah is (always) near to those who do good.’ - {Surah Al-Araf. 7:56}

2) Have humility and taqwaa.

‘Call upon your Lord with humility and in private: for Allah loves not those who trespass beyond bounds.’ - {Surah Al-Araf. 7:55}

3) Pray to Allah directly.

‘Call then, upon Allah with sincere devotion to Him, even though the unbelievers may detest it.’ - {Surah Ghafir. 40:14}

‘And your Lord says: “Call on Me; I will answer your (Prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell – in humiliation.’ - {Surah Ghafir. 40:60}

4) Place your trust in Allah, that He will guide you to what is best for you, in this life and the next.

“The invocation of anyone of you is granted [by Allah] as long as he does not show impatience by saying ‘I have invoked Allah but my request has not been answered’.” - {Bukhari, Muslim}

“Any Muslim who supplicates to Allah in a Du’a which contains no sin breaking of kinship, Allah will give him one of three things: either his Du’a will be immediately answered or it will be saved for him in the hereafter, or it will turn away an equivalent amount of evil.”  -{Tirmidi, Ahmadi}

1. plz send me some wazifas

• faiza, read the article.

• lol 😀 that's funny. I guess you didnt read the article.

So i just have a quick question, what about the hadith that la hawla wala quwwata illa billaah cures ninety-nine diseases the least of which is anxiety, would that be the same as a wafiza if recited mulitple times since it's a hadith? and then there is that one dua for difficulties of prophet Yunus when he was in the belly of the whale.

• mea, there is no doubt that dhikr brings great reward, and that our dua' is heard and answered by Allah. Both practices are highly recommended. A Muslim should always be praising Allah and asking Him for his needs in the dunya and aakhirah. The difference between this and wazifa is that we cannot make up formulas and say, "If you say such-and-such this many times, your cancer will disappear," or whatever.

• No doubt
          Just following the ways and teachings of prophet Mohammad sallallahu alaihi wassallam is the best thing to be done on earth for people in islam
          And this is the only thing that will make muslims worthy of being called Muslims

• well stated ! just read the article and follow the righteous way ! Allah will answer to our duas ! Allah knows the best !

• Salam I dont about the first hadith but the the one about prophet yunus one is that yes he recited that dua over and over again.but there is no number to it.how can he possibly remember how many times he recited a dua. So he was making dua not reading a wazifa.that dua ha's turned into a wazifa.we are allowe'd to make dua using any an innovation.we can use any verses from the quran or our own words in the dua. Hope that makes sense.may Allah correct me if I'm wrong.

• Wazifas are fine.There is thing in Islam that can't be taught for the common folk.It is higher knowledge of insight.Something Allah gives a person.Yes there are some Wazifas that are not recommended. Thats why the sunni scholor who follows a school of thought will have the correct knowledge. ...Most people follow blindly and listen to people whose speech sounds impressive but they breed extremism and violence

2. I need help my life has gone wrong iv made a big mistake and now i cant get my self out of that mess. Please some one tell me a wazifa to do

• Bibi, please read the article. What you need is dua', not wazifa. If you want to register and submit your question as a separate post, we can advise you in turn, Insha'Allah.

• Assalam Alekum,

I want to know that for rizq i do read one ayat of surah maida daily 11 times after fajr and Isha and i do read "Biyadikal kher innaka ala kulli shai in qadeer" 41 times daily after Fajr and Isha, is it a kind of wazifa or dua? kindly reply.
        Thanks

• This is neither wazifa nor dua', but dhikr, or praise/remembrance of Allah. It is part of a dhikr taught by the Prophet (sws), which is: "Laa ilaha il-Allahu, wahdahu laa sharikalahu, lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu, yuhyi wa yumeetu, biyadihil khayru, wa huwa 'alaa kulli shay-in qadeer."

Which means, "There is no God except Allah, alone without partner, to Him is the kingdom and all praise, He gives life and deals death, in his Hand is all good, and He has power over all things."

There are different variations of it. Some are longer and some shorter. It is a very good dhikr and carries much reward for saying it.

• But if someone doing a wazifa according to sufism and completed without harm and wazifa fulfilled there wishes or desires.Allah's help also with the sufi method
        Allah subhanu wataala fulfilled there wishes.
        then what is the issue with wazifa...?

• We should approach Allah in the manner that He and His Prophet (Muhammmad sal-Allahu alayhi wa sallam) have taught. The Quran and the Sunnah teach us to approach and ask Allah by means of Salat and Dua'. We should therefore follow the teachings given to us, and use only authentic dua' from the Quran and Sunnah.

• Recite darood shareef abundantly... as it is a best thing to be done...
      It creates a 2way connection between you and God...
      You recites once and in turn Allah takes you in his Rehmat...
      Go read hadith regarding darood shareef you will yourself find what I want to say...
      Offer 2 rakat salah and tell your problems to Allah directly...
      Because Allah is the one who Has power over All
      ....

3. seemi, read the article. There is no such thing as wazifa in Islam. Instead we have dua'.

• aayshah on November 25, 2014 at 5:43 am
      Recite darood shareef abundantly… as it is a best thing to be done…
      It creates a 2way connection between you and God…
      You recites once and in turn Allah takes you in his Rehmat…

is this okay??
      i was to start reciting the darood shareef 80time a day.
      can i do it by making a wish and allah for that after its recitation??
      vil t becom a wazifa
      plz reply

4. Recite " la haula wa la quwwata illa billa hil alae il azeem " . Recite it as much as you can .
    i personally heard a man saying that his friend was over burdened dye to some problem . He did all he could do but couldn't find the solution. He , then went to a mosque where imam told him to recite is as much as is possible. The man said that it is such an easy thing to do . Willl it really help me?. Imam replied that yes " it will ease you from what so ever burden you are having in your life" . He recited and amazingly got relieved from whatsoever problem he was having.
    it all depends on your faith.
    i am also reciting it for love marriage. I am too disturbed and stressed but i feel that it is going to help me .

need your prayers

God bless you
    all the best.

5. I need more explanation on wazifa bcos am torika bt am nt doing well in it again and am afraid may be sometin may happen to me

6. Asalaamu alaykum I would like to ask a question regarding witchcraft I have been employed within a company and worked with a lot of people of different religions gradually since I started working I have started to cover myself and now it's a daily thing I have been wanting to leave the current job where I'm working since last year June I started applying.I would get called for interviews would go then would get no reply whatsoever so I went to see a that could tell me what could be wrong he's muslim well respected and born with a gift to assist people having problems with witchcraft etc he told me that someone put a block on me from getting another job even about my boss and said it's better to get another job as it seems like the situation won't get better at work then I remembered that ones my ex manager wore my sandals and jersey and took it home with her and never wanted to talk about it even my bosses when they would work visits the way they treated me was asif they saw an animal and did'nt care doing it in front of my staff to degrade me I then decided to push and continue job hunting but nothing is coming right even now I have discoverd that my boss is trying to trap me so I can be dismissed wanted staff who was caught stealing to say I was stealing with them but alhamdullilah they refused I am the only muslim in our region and do isolate myself from parties etc as there's alcohol etc.I would have resigned long ago but due to debts and that I'm tryin to stay right now I'm being investigated for a loss that occurred and will be going to a hearing for this even if I'm innocent I have made the guidance prayer in deciding if I should resign rather and work a month notice whilst still continueing looking for another job but had no decision the following day after doing the prayer previous night but I can see if I can continue working I will be dismissed please help with what I should do.

7. Aswk Plz I need help allah has given me two girls alhumdulliah now again I am pregnant so plz I need to no what dua must b read for a baby boy inshallah help me brother

8. Assalamoilekum,

My husband wants to divorce me he doesnt wants me at all he spoke to my aunty
    all though its not my fault putting wrong allegations and making everyone believe that she spoke
    to me very harsh sentence but i dint i swear on allah i dint he lieng to everyone.i dont want divorce he is not ready to listen i dont want her he is saying i want to change his mind tell me some wazifa any strong dua so he change his mind towards me n dont file the divorce.......help me please i love him a lot i dint said any harsh sentence to him still i said so sorry so many times but he doesnt wants to listen at all......

Allahahfiz

9. Hello,

I've read the article and understand why it's not allowed. But I have a problem telling which practice is harmless and which is wazifa. For example: it is well-known that it's good to pray the hajaat & tahajood before the fajr prayer. And generally there are certain dzikr and/or dua to be followed after those sunnah prayers. Do those dzikr/duas count as wazifa? Also, I've learned that each 99 names of Allah SWT has its own benefits if recited for a certain number at certain times. Is it wazifa? Cause the way I see it, it's dzikr with Allah's names different number of times, and whatever result or benefit coming from it could only be hoped for. Am I right? I wish there is a clear guideline separating the harmless practice and wazifa. Thanks!

• Assalaamualaikam

A good way of looking at it is to think "does this action have its basis in the Quran or ahadith?". Dua and dhikr have their basis in this, and we have clear guidance regarding it - it might help to read the sections of this website under the heading 'Dua in Islam' (the articles there might be helpful, inshaAllah).

If something does not seem to have its basis in established Sunnah, then it's best to investigate it further to be sure that it is permissible, rather than risking doing something that is unacceptable or inappropriate. For example, you could discuss such questions with scholars or respected members of your local Islamic community, or research the issue yourself (taking care to use reliable sources), or ask reputable online sites for advice.

Midnightmoon
      IslamicAnswers.com editor

10. I got married receintly everything was allright but suddenly i saw a lot of changes in my husnand... He dont want to talk to me don love me anymore. He only listen to his family.. Insults me in front of evryone . He wants divorce now from me ... But i dont want to give him divorce as i love him. Can u please help me out is there any way through which his heart will melt and he will change his mind... And will start loving me ....

• Naziya, you have given us very little information. Please register and submit your question as a separate post, and describe if you can why your husband changed and why he wants a divorce. Your question will be published in turn Insha'Allah.

11. ASWK ..

• I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Please register and submit your question as a separate post, and we will answer you in turn, Insha'Allah.

12. ...

[Editor's note: Please submit your comment in English if possible.]

13. Wazifa DOES have Islamic basis. See Abdul Raheem's brief explanation for this.

Question:

Curing through certain Wazeefah’s of our Mashaaikh and Through Allah’s Names (s.w.t).

The Wazeefah mentioned on Tafseer Raheemi:

Does not have any references to any hadeeth. I do not doubt the effort in the deliverance of this message but I have heard that Surah al-Fatiha is the cure to all illnesses and have heard this referenced with hadeeth’s.

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.

Allah (s.w.t) says in the Qur’an:

وَلِلَّهِ الْأَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنَىٰ فَادْعُوهُ بِهَا

“Allah has the Most Beautiful of Names so call unto Him with them” (7:180)

The Wazeefah mentioned has the names of Allah – The Shariat is not strict with the method of Dua, therefore any amount would suffice.

The amount mentioned was an experience of the Mashaaikh – e.g. Paracetamol relieves headache is known through experience, you don’t need Hadeeth for that.

However, no doubt what you have mentioned is correct and Surah Fatiha is more effective – But it cannot be read be non-Muslims.

(Shaykh) Adbur Raheem

• No, "wazeefa" does not have any Islamic basis. The "experience of mashaaikh" is not sufficient to justify an innovation in religion.

The Messenger of Allah (sws) said, "Every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance goes to Hell fire." (Saheeh Muslim). The scholars have always understood this to mean innovations in religion. The invention of Paracetamol is a scientific and medical innovation and is good. But to claim that new aspects of religion can be discovered through experimentation and experience is ridiculous.

"Today I have completed for you your religion." - Quran 5:3

Islam is already complete. All we need is what the Quran brought and the Messenger of Allah (sws) taught. We do not need any misguided mashaayikh to sit around inventing new "wazeefas".

As for Allah's saying that, “Allah has the Most Beautiful of Names so call unto Him with them,” yes of course this is true. We are told in Islam to call upon Allah, make dhikr, make istighfar, etc.

However, to claim that reciting Allah's name a specific number of times will have some miraculous effect is completely bidah. For example, if one claims that reciting "Ya Azeez" 1,000 times every day for 10 days will cure stomach cancer - this is a lie that he has made up against Allah, for Allah did not say anything of this kind in the Quran.

14. Brother, is reciting yaseen mubeen 41 days a wazifa? And is it advisable to recite. Pls clarify.

15. Thankyou. I didn't know wazifas were and are prohibited

16. salaam.
    i have question that is it good to leave a good job to start your own business.

17. Maa sha allah very nice reply alhumdullelah I reced from doing wrong

18. A/s kindly help me with some wazifa to save my marriage. I am getting divorced.

19. Asalmoalakum

Reciting Darood Sharif is the best, we should recite it as much as we can.....

If I tell myself that I will recite Durood sharif, 300 times minimum in a day and for the rest of the day I keep reciting it when ever I can....

Please guide if I am doin okay.
    Does limiting to minimum also falls under the category of wazifa?

Thanks

20. As Salamu alaikum brother. Please can you tell me is this the same with Asma al husna and reciting Allah swts names a certain number of times for a particular reason?

21. Thanks still reading on to know more cuz sometimes these internet lies n most of all our effort is to please our maker.may Allah guide us to d right path and forgive us our sins

22. Please help me I'm in study depression I don't like to study and go to school please give me any wazifa to learn and remember what I read please help me .. And also for to go to school and learn happily

• What you need is to develop good study habits, and to figure out why you don't like to study. Maybe you would prefer to study a different subject? But yes, I think you probably just need to learn to take good notes, study early every day when you're not tired, study with a partner, etc.

• Sister search Rohani Elaj it is application and Inshallah you find many solutions of problems Inshallah

23. Asalamualaykum.. i have a doubt .. actually im reciting ALLAH HU RABBI LA SHARIKA LA HU 874 times in a state of wuzu on a praying mat.. and making a dua .. so i need to kno is it rite what im doing.. plss do reply

24. ASSALAAM WALEKUM,

I AM VERY DEPRESSED REGARDING MY MARRIAGE PROBLEM. I LIKE A GIRL I EVEN TOLD HER AND APPROACH HER FOR MARRIAGE, BUT THE PROBLEM IS HER PARENTS FIXED HER MARRIAGE TO SOMEWHERE ELSE, WE GOT INFORMATION ABOUT THE BOY WHOM HER PARENTS CHOOSES FOR HER IS NOT GOOD, I EVEN TOLD THAT GIRL TO TELL EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT BOY TO UR MOM BUT SHE SCARED AND NOT READY TO TELL ANYTHING, HER FATHER DOESN'T LIKE THAT BOY EVEN A GIRL ALSO BUT SHE SAID YES JUST BCOZ OF HER MOM. WE CONSULT TO A MAULANA AND HE TOLD US THAT HER MOTHER SPELL CASTE ON HER TO TAKE HER IN HER FAVOUR AND SO THAT SHE WULD NOT DENY TO THE BOY WHOM SHE CHOOSES FOR HER.... PLEASE HELP US AND ADVISE US WHAT TO DO.....

JAZAK ALLAAH
    ANAS SHAIKH

• If she doesn't want to marry the boy, she has to speak up and say so. There is no spell going on. That's nonsense and it's just a way for her to avoid taking responsibility for her choices.

If you need further advice please register and submit your question as a separate post.

25. I've started a wazifa a few days back but couldn't complete it what should I do now I'm worried like people say that it could pose some side effects if it is left uncompleted !!! An expert opinion please...... It's matter of Islam

• Assalaamualaikam

Please read the article. Instead of doing wazifa, make dua and trust in Allah. Don't worry about any talk of side effects - this has no basis in Islam so leaving it will not have any bad effects for you.

Midnightmoon
      IslamicAnswers.com editor

26. Is this hadith true ?
    " One day a person came to Our Prophet (P.B.U.H) , & asked for a solution for Rizq, & he was recommended to read following zikr 100 times between sunah and farz of fajar prayer ;
    "Subhanallah wabihamdehi subhanallah hil azeem astaghfirula"

Isn't wazifa ?
    Do we have to read it exact 100 times cause its recommended by our Prophet ?

• I have never seen such a hadith. To say that dhikr certainly has merit. It is considered a powerful dhikr that brings blessings from Allah. But I never heard of saying it 100 times for rizq.

27. plz send me your contact num, or email

28. I want to know any Wazifa for how can we save ourselves from the love of this world and focus to Akhrat please tell me

29. As Salaamu Alaikum

Wael i have to disagree not all Wazifa a bad,and against the sunnah.
    This you know.Iam dont follow the Barelvis or the Deobandis but i have to says the Deobandis are more bad than the Barelvis.As Example,Maududi ,Ashraf Ali Thanvi,Dhelwi.This People were more dangerous than any Sufis.

30. Assalamo alaikum is it recommended to say darud n salaam before standing for fard namaz pl ..guide me

31. salam i want to ask that i am doing a kind of wazifa of (ALLAH HU AKBAR) for 41 days of 41000 times for my brother does this also comes in bidah or wazifa plz let me know.. ALLAH HAFIZ