Salat Al-Istikhara in Arabic

Chinese Muslims praying in Xinjiang China

"Istikhara" means to seek goodness from Allah (Exalted is He), meaning when one intends to do an important task they do istikhara before the task.

The one who does the istikhara is asking Allah Almighty, the Knower of Unseen (Exalted is He) to guide him or her to know whether the task is better for him or not.

Salat al-Istikhara is a powerful tool that Allah has given us to ask His guidance in all matters. We should not hesitate to pray Istikhara before making any choice in our lives, big or small.

It's important to do this prayer with sincerity, knowing in our hearts that only Allah can give us the guidance we seek, and resolved to follow the guidance He gives us, even if it clashes with our own desires.

We should also say the duaa with firm conviction, not begging or pleading, but asking Allah clearly for guidance.

And we should not be impatient after our duaa. We do not put Allah on a timetable. And we should not expect some sort of miracle, or a dream full of signs and symbols. These things are not necessary. We simply say our prayers and trust that Allah has heard us and will answer us in the way that is best.

We have several articles about Salat-al-Istikhara on this website, IslamicAnswers.com. Take the time to read the articles and learn how to perform the Istikhara prayer properly. It will benefit you tremendously in your life choices.

According to Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 21, Number 263:

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: The Prophet (Sallal Laho Alaihi Wasallam) used to teach us the way of doing Istikhara, in all matters as he taught us the Suras of the Quran. He said, "If anyone of you thinks of doing any action he should offer a two Rakat prayer other than the compulsory ones and say (after the prayer):

Salat Al-Istikhara in Arabic

Salat Al-Istikhara in Arabic

TRANSLATION: "O Allah! I seek goodness from Your Knowledge and with Your Power (and Might) I seek strength, and I ask from You Your Great Blessings, because You have the Power and I do not have the power. You Know everything and I do not know, and You have knowledge of the unseen. Oh Allah! If in Your Knowledge this action ------------------------------------------------ (which I intend to do) is better for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then make it destined for me and make it easy for me and then add blessings [baraka'] in it, for me. O Allah! In Your Knowledge if this action is bad for me, bad for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then turn it away from me and turn me away from it and whatever is better for me, ordain [destine] that for me and then make me satisfied with it."

WAY TO PERFORM ISTIKHARA:
First pray Two Cycles (raka') of ritual Prayer (nafil) such that in the first raka' after Surah Fatiha (Allhamd"¦) recite Surah al-Kafirun (Chapter 109) and in the second raka' after Fatiha (Allhamd"¦) recite Surah al-Ikhlas (Chapter 112). After finishing prayer recite this (supplication/dua'): Dua in Arabic Text above.

How many times?
It depends. Sometimes it takes only once to get the answer and sometimes it takes longer. It is better to do istakhara seven (7) times. If you have received an answer, you may stop doing istikhara. You do not have to continue to do isitkhara for 7 days. It is better that right after reciting the supplication, given above, sleep with ablution (people who cannot keep the ablution for longer times due to health problems do not have to worry about ablution before falling asleep) facing the direction of the Qibla (facing the Qibla is not required but it is a Sunnat of our beloved Prophet Peace Be Upon Him). It is better to recite salutations (durood/ salawat) on the Prophet Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him before and after the above Dua (supplication).

THE IMPORTANCE OF ISTIKHARAH

Allah says in the Holy Qur'an: "And it is very possible that you dislike something whereas it is good for you; and (similarly) it is very possible that you like something whereas it is bad for you". (Baqarah 16)

From the above ayah, we learn that man has limited knowledge and deficient intellect. Therefore, many a times, he may desire something, which may prove harmful to him, and on the other hand, he may dislike something, while it is good for him. The sole possessor of perfect knowledge, and the only knower of the unseen is Allah, the Creator of man and the Controller of the system of the entire universe. Therefore if man desires good, he can only find it in the hands of Allah. According to one Hadith: "It is from the good fortune of man that he makes Istikharah (seeks good) from Allah, and it is from his misfortune that he discards Istikharah."

'Allamah Aini (RA) writes: "Man should never overlook any matter due to its insignificance and discard Istikharah. How many matters are regarded as insignificant and Istikharah is not made for them, due to which great harm is suffered when carrying them out or abandoning them. It is for this reason that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) is reported to have said: "(Every) one of you should ask his need from his sustainer to the extent that he should ask Him for salt, and for a shoelace when it breaks."

"Allamah Ibnul Qayyim (RA) has written: "The person who makes Istikharah (seek good) from his Creator and makes 'mashwarah' (consults) the creation never regrets, since Allah said to (His Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam)): "Consult them in matters. Thus, when You make a decision, place your trust in Allah".

Shaikh Tahir bin Husain bin Abdullah bin Tahir wrote in a letter to his son after he had become an amir or governor: "Whenever any matter of importance comes upon you, seek assistance in it by making Istikharah to Allah and fearing him". He also advised him thus: "and perform Istikharah abundantly in all your matters". (Al-Istikharah by M.T. Hakeem)

A GREAT BENEFIT OF ISTIKHARAH

Hadrat Shah Waliyyullah (RA) writes: "From amongst the greatest benefits of Istikharah is that man becomes detached from his carnal desires, his animalistic characteristics become subject to his angelic nature and he hands himself over to Allah. When he does this, he reaches the stages of the angels whose quality is that they await the command of Allah. When Allah's command is received, they exert themselves through divine motivation and not carnal motivation. I believe that excessive Istikharah is a proven tonic for the inculcation of angelic qualities."

A MISCONCEPTION

But alas, today, Istikharah has become as equally difficult as making a decision. People hesitate so much to perform this great act of worship, that only at the last alternative, when no other way can be perceived, they would turn to some innovated act that has no basis in the Hadith, such as the taking of a good omen by opening the Qur'an and counting lines and letters, etc.; or asking someone else to perform Istikharah on their behalf. Shaikh Nuruddin Itr says: As far as the common practice today which people aspire to uphold, that Istikharah will only be correct if it is carried out by certain persons, and that a dream is necessary, this is extremism and obstanance, and is not the command of Allah nor His Rasul (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam). This all stems from such constraint among the Muslims that does not behove of them. This led them to abandoning one great Sunnah of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), thus they deprived themselves of the merits of this great Sunnah and it’s blessings, and from blemishing it's purity. Similarly Hadrat Moulana Shah Hakim Muhammad Akhtar (RA) states in his book "Sunnats" on page 49, that "asking another person to make Istikharah on one's behalf is not substantiated from any Hadith. To make mashwarah' (consult) with someone else is Sunnah.' Sometimes Istikharah becomes a means of greater confusion. A person who does not generally see dreams, nor perceives an inclination towards or away from the object of his Istikharah, now finds himself in a greater predicament. As for the person who does see a dream, he is put through the inconvenience of finding someone to interpret it for him. And if he saw a clear dream, or received an interpretation indicating to one particular option, and thereafter was not able to overcome the obstacles obstructing his path to achieving his aim, this person is left in sheer perplexity.

STATUS OF DREAMS IN ISTIKHARAH

Firstly, one must understand that none of the narrations in the Ahadith have any mention regarding a dream, or even about performing the 'Istikharah' before sleeping. However, some "Ulama do prefer that Istikharah be performed before sleeping.

With regards to the person who does see a dream after performing 'Istikharah', this dream is just like any other dream that a person sees. This means that just as other dreams fall under one of three categories (which will be explained shortly), likewise will the dreams seen after Istikharah1 be. It is reported in a Hadith narrated in Sahih Bukhari and other books of Hadith that dreams are of three types:

1. Hadeeth-un-Nafs (imaginations)

2. ‘takhweefus shaytaan’ a dream instilled in the mind by shaytan. This also known as ‘wasaaisu-us-shaytaan’ or ‘tahzeenu-us-shaytaan’.

3. ‘Bushraa minallaah’ True dreams, which are also known as ‘mubash-sharaat’

It is mentioned in a Hadith that the dreams of pious muminin (believers) are generally true dreams.

Another Hadith states: "The most true dreams are those seen at the time of Sahar (early dawn).

1. Thank you! May Allah bless you with happiness in this life and in the hereafter inshaAllah!

2. I pray istikhara for my work on one opportunity the advice was negative but I m not seeing any other opportunities so what should I do. I can't under stand what I do

3. (I removed your question. Please register and submit your question as separate post, and we will answer you in turn Insha'Allah. - IslamicAnswers.com Editor)

4. Aoa
    im going through a very tough period in my life and have been performing istikhara for the past five days. As its Ramadan, I sleep only a few hours before waking up again.today on the fifthday I saw a dream after saying my fajar prayers, does that count? Please reply via email if possible.
    jazaAllah

5. Can you do istikhara in Ramadan? As I want to do it. And if you can, do you pray it after Fajr or after Isha Namaaz??

6. salam sir m very tensd...

[Please submit your question as a new post for publication rather than as a comment on an existing post. That way your question can be published and answered in turn, inshaAllah.]

7. [Editor's note: Please submit your question as a new post for publication rather than as a comment on an existing post. That way it can be published and answered in turn, inshaAllah.]

8. What should I do if Istikhara comes with no dream and my heart is still inclined to the goal I want to get but still no output comes? Please guide me in this regard.

JazakAllah!

• U do istekhara wen u r confused and u make Allah swt the judge for ur betterment. If the indication is no DEN THIS IS FROM ALLAH SWT. No1 knows ur future except for Allah swt. So trust him alone.

9. Salam sir i would like to say that i'm in love with my cousin. I did istikhara. Mufti sahib did it for me and he said its clear. Now my mother doesnt under stand my feeling i'm dying i m getting and cant find a way need ur help what shoud i do my istikhara for that girl was fine plz help me give me suggestion plz wasalam

• Alam, you should pray your own istikhara. If you need further advice please register and submit your question as a separate post.

10. Assalam aleikum,
    shukran for this article... its very knowledgeabe. Jazakumullah kheir.

11. Salaams . I am in a very difficult situation with my husband I feel like walking out of my marriage . Its been 3 years I'm having the same problem but only thing is it gets worst. I can't deny the fact that I do love him but I am not willing to live this miserable life. I'm very 2 minded and wanted to know I'm in a state of haith can I still read the dua? Is there any learned person whom I can ask to perform istikhara for me because I feel I'm so doubtful and the fact that I do love my husband I prefer a learned person to read for me . Whom may I ask?

12. I had started istekhara for moving with my husband to settle down in a different country where my kids live but each time I start it is discontinued for some reason or the other ,i have started three times .....so what should I conclude from this that its negative?dont know what to understand from this or should I start again

• I cannot imagine what you mean that your istikhara is discontinued. It is a prayer and a dua' and takes only a few minutes. How can it be discontinued?

13. i have a dream after pray the istakhara . " i eat the apple and i divided the apple in my brother and sister and cousions.plz tell me its mean

• jimmy, we are not dream interpreters, and Salat-al-Istikhara is not dependent on dreams. That is a common misconception. Please read all our articles about Istikhara to understand it better.

14. I would like to now is it compulsory that after reciting istekhara we need to sleep immediately or after praying we can have a gap then take a sleep

15. My boyfriend and i are in a physical relationship but we haven't committed 'zina'. We had asked 5 or 6 people to do istikhara for us and all are saying that it's negative. I have performed istikhara for 5 times and i have not seen anything in my dream or any indication. I really want him. What should i do now? Should i trust others or should i perform it again?

• Hina, you should pray Salat al-Istikhara yourself rather than ask others to do it for you; and the result of Istikhara is not dependent on dreams. Please read our other articles on Istikhara to learn more.

16. Hi. .my boyfriend and i want to marry. His mother has prayed salat al istikhara for us and she has been weakening ever since and she has this bad feeling about it. My boyfriend is ready to give up and i have no clue even after praying salat-al istikhara. What should we do?

• You mentioned that you prayed Salat-al-Istikhara. Pray it again, then do what you feel is best, and trust Allah to guide you to the right path.

17. I have been praying it for a week now. He does not listen to me as he has this firm believe on what his mother felt.

18. Alhamdulillah...

19. I have dream buying halal chicken piece(not already cook) & piece of bread after perform salat isteharah.
    Is it a positive answer or negative?

20. i didnt like some stuff u said like dont think a miracle will happen ????? But (Allah ) is the most powerful and anything could happen ? so a mircale could happen .........just letting u know

21. Assalam-o-Alaikum,

i want to know that once a person has done istikhara for 7 days or so then what shall that person do. Like if i have made an istikhara for Marriage purpose (weather this person is suitable for me or not, or shall i take this man as my husband and will my family agree etc) then how do i know if yes this man is the one i should marry or yes he will be a good life companion for me. How will i know what to do after making the istikhara and what steps should i take, should i talk to my parents about the man after doing istikhara and then see what happens or should i wait for things to fall in its place what to do? i am very very confused.

• SAS, now that you have made istikhara, simply choose the course of action that seems right to you. Use your mind and heart and make a choice, and trust that Allah is guiding you to what is best, and keeping you away from harm. If you feel the man is suitable for you, then yes, talk to your parents, or let him come to them with a marriage proposal.

22. A. A. I love a girl and for 4 years we are in contact via phone. In third year I came to know that she did zina with a boy and some other persons and hide it from me. I was shocked and couldn't believe. It was very.v hard for me to leave her bcoz I loved her so so much and she also have love for me. Spending 4 month I decided to do istakhara and I saw a dream that she is getting married with me. It was very. Clear. But I was not satisfied how to accept her and also didn't want to leave her. After that I have come to know that if I still send her purposely she is willing that we do marriage after one year not now. I also come to know that she still doing zina at home. Now plz tell me what should I do. Should I follow dream or not?

• Assalaamu Alaykum,

From what you describe, you were never even engaged to this girl. On top of that, she is involved in other haraam relationships. Personally she doesn't seem like "wife" material with that type of untrustworthy behavior. I think you should just leave her alone and look for a girl who can be trusted and is faithful.

-Amy

• No I had no physical relations with her alhamdulillah. But she many time tried to have physical relation but to me it was unforgivable sin so I never ever thought about it. My question remains same that should I follow dream or what? I loved her so much that without any significant sign from istakhara it looks hard to leave her mainly because I previously did istakhara and in dream saw her getting married with me. And on the other hand when I think of adopting her as wife my heartbeat become fast and I thinks how can I live happy with her when I know she had many many physical relations with men. Plz tell me what is the importance of that dream which I saw.

23. Asalammoualaikoum
    After perform namaz istehahara

1nite I dream am in a museum near the seaside
    Viewing a small seahorse & sea water start entering the museum who is started to destroyed.

One another nite I dream eating a green grape.

Another nite i dream am in a building near the sea watching Aqua life(fish etc) in an aquarium.

Another nite I dream am in a building near the sea who has started to destroy.

Can anyone help me about interpretating these dreams???
    As am not working I decided to buy a truck to start work before that i decided to perform istihara.
    Nw am confused whether the truck i see to buy is not good I must see another one
    or the business of truck i want to do is not good.

If anyone can help me or make dua for me
    Thanks

24. I am havig a following problem and I would appeciate if any knowledgable brother can help me.

• As-salamu alaykum brother abusayeed. Please register and submit your question as a separate post, and we will answer you in turn, Insha'Allah.

25. Do you have to know the dua off by heart before performing the prayer? Or can you you read it from your phone or a piece of paper whilst ďoing the prayer?

26. I pray istakhara for marriage I saw a dream my sanchak mehndi function is going on everybody is happy there is mehandi design on my hands what does it means plz tell me

• Assalaamualaikam

Please read our articles on istikhara and the answers already given. Istikhara isn't dependent on dreams.

Midnightmoon
      IslamicAnswers.com editor

27. Salaam, Iv got to know this guy...

28. Assalamun alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuhu, I heard from a sheikh that istiharah is seen answered by ones mind loving it if is good one. And would be disliked if it would be bad one. I don't have any Hadith to back it up ALLAH AHLAM. Jaxaka Allah bil khaira.

29. salam can you please tell me in detail on, how to do the Salat Al istikhara because I'm still unsure of it.

30. Hello,

I have been doing Istikhara since 5 nights now. Most of the times, I forget the dream and most of the time its discontinuous dreams because I wake up a lot of time during night due to some stresses. So I may have 5 to 6 dreams in whole night. Sometimes I see white, sometimes I see black, sometimes I see green, sometimes I see red. I don't know whats going on. What I am sure of is I am seeing the same person in my dream since 5 nights for whom I am doing this Istikhara. I am not sure if its my imagination or if it is a sign. Can someone please help what to do?

Thank you!

31. Asalam alaikum Warehmatu Allah i Wabarakatuhu.

32. I have a question that I don't remember my dream so how should I know that what guidance did I get from Allah?

33. Asalamwalaikum
    can i pray istikhara for some reason and on the same day ,can i fast for some other reason?

34. Asalaamualaykum warahmatullAhi wa baraktu
    I would like to know if you should recite istikhara if a boy just came to see you and hasnt yet made a proposal.
    JazakAllah

35. Askm.
    How should we know uf the dream is imagination...if its true or is from the shattwaan ?

• Istikhara is not dependent on dreams and does not have to result in a dream. Please read our other articles about Istikhara.

36. AssalamoAlikum ...sir I did istikhara 6 months ago for a job but now due to problem in studies I have decided to leave it...will it be any harmful for me

• There is no reason why it should harm you. Istikhara is simply a dua' for guidance. You must make your own choices in life. As long as you are not doing haram, have no fear.

• Sir someone told me I shouldn't go against the istikhara but I think I didn't go against it ..I did the job for 6 months but now due to study problem I have to level it ......and can I do another istikhara about wheater I should leave the job or not ?

37. Salaam, I wanted to know wether I can read the dua for istikhara from my phone after prayer as I don't know it by heart. Jazakallah khayr if you could reply quick as it is urgent jazakallah

• You can read it from your phone until you are able to memorize it, Insha'Allah. Make an effort to learn it by heart.

38. I did isthikara to find out if having another child would be good for us. I have four boys and want a girl. I did the istikahare for two day and on the second night I deamt that I was pregnant and on the 20 week sacan the dr told me its a boy. I was very sad then a second later he said and theres two girls I was then so so happy. He also said that girls dont normally survive but these will be ok.

can u please translate my dream as I am confused.

thank you very much
    allah haffiz.

39. Im a married women but having affairs with another married man whom is also having another affair with a married woman. I love him much and want to settle my affair with him. I pray istikhara few mths ago and i dreamt of him twice. One was i dreamt of him quareling with this married women after which he left her house. Another one was i dreamt of him telling me he will leave this married women. Few mths later which was just recently i pray istikhara and dreamt of him again. I dreamt of him faintly in a white background after which i wake up. Im aware of the sins im commiting thats why ask him to settle all parties quickly.

Is my istikhara dreams telling me to wait for him or move on?

• I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe when a married woman committing adultery prays Istikhara to see if she should continue to see the man she is cheating with. I am baffled. You are committing one of the worst sins and one of the worst betrayals one person can do to another. What answer can you expect from us? The only hope for you is to end your sinful relationship immediately and never see or talk to that man again.

• Asalamwalaikum Brother,

I am sure what you are saying is right, but I think she should confess it and take a decision ,if she leaves the person she loves then their is no use because having husband she fall in love with another man so she should even leave her husband and let her husband decide whether he wants to continue or not, and if the person who loves her is ready to accept her, then let them get married legally.

• Asalamwalaikum Sister,

Sister having an affair with someone else after or before marriage is Haraam . but do u have any child with your present husband? if yes , do you love that married man more then your child? if not then talk directly to your husband that you don't want to stay with him and ask the other man to do the same and get divorced. affair not allowed so get divorced and stay together legally . I am not sure its right or wrong but you can go ahead with truth and ask forgiveness for what you have done.

• Salam sis....im know im in the wrong of committing a grave sins. I got together with this married man in the first place is because my husband doesnt understand me in all areas and plus financial issue. My husband temper is bad till he gets physical. Now my husband has changed for the better but i dont really love him much. As for this married man whom ive loved, ive told him about the sins we are committing and urged him to settle all parties so that him and i can get together legally. What ive goten from him is asking me to be patience. To make matter worst he still owe me money and been paying me regularly. Ive suffered alot from this sinful relationship which i dont think you all can imagine and im thankful that im still alive till now.

And yes i love my children and prepare to leave him. But what about the money he owes me? Its not small amount and how am i suppose to pay back to my banks? Ive also been asking myself why people like him can happily commit sins and hurt others which is me whom he hurts most? Ive went through worst and hell then his wife? Is it there is no retribution at all?

Secondly i solat istikhara is to ask Allah for guidance but didnt expect bro Wael to be so harsh in his words. I felt all muslims has the rights to solat istikhara just that up to Allah to accept or not to accept it. Yes im not a saint nor gd muslimah but certainly i dont deserve such berating statements from bro Wael. A muslim convert thinking and upbringings certainly difference from those of a born-muslims.

Thank you.

40. Sister Aisha, I understand that I wont understand how you feel. but i can say Allah gives all human test how much they can suffer. and i also know i cannot help you , but only Allah can help you alone and brother was not aware of the situation you are facing, but leaving everything aside i would ask you to get your elders come together and come to a settlement . Because your husband is also may be not happy with you . but the decision to leave your husband will not be accepted in Islam as in your marriage contract it was not mentioned. and without that you cannot leave him by your own. and your relation with any other male was purely wrong thing but when you already did this don't waste your time and come for a settlement. you already decided to continue with him so praying for decision you will never be satisfied till it favors you.and whom ever you choose must convert yourself to be fundamentalist because a person who follows Islam strongly will not abuse a women or children.

• Sister fatimah, i know what you are driving at cause i also want to break free of this married man. Ive even commited suicide before and lucky im been saved. I dont know how to break away from this married man. Im feeling stress daily and at the point of killing myself and i could tell no one of all the difficulties im facing be it financially or emotionally. No one can really advise me what to do. Im at a loss...

41. Assalamu alaikum..
    I am doing isteqara for 3 days towards a marriage proposal.
    The first day I felt nothing but on 2nd day, initial I slept but later on I was very restless with my sleep felt as if my body is sleeping but my.mind is awake. .this continued on the 3rd day of isteqara also.
    Now how should I take this?
    Is it a negetive indication?
    eagerly waiting for your reply sir..

• Please read our other articles about Istikhara. I don't see that restless sleep is a clear indication of anything, except the usual anxiety over making a decision.

42. I am usually not able to study namaz I am always busy is their any way to pay for it.

43. Which time should I perform it? And please tell the method which I am not getting....thanks

44. can i read the dua of istikhara by seeing it??????

45. Salam. Why is that any time I perform salat istihara I would not be able to sleep and also I won't see any thing. I have done it several times but no result

• You don't have to see anything. That is a misconception. I mean, it could happen that you have a dream or sign or a strong feeling, but it doesn't have to. After you pray Istikhara, make the decision that feels right to you, and trust that Allah is guiding you to what is best.

46. Asalam wallaikum
    I wanted to know
    1. if istikhara is done continuously 7 days
    2. If a women is praying istikhara can she get out of her house or she has to be in for 7 days and not show her face to anyone other than her father or son

• Istikhara can be done only once, or if you feel you do not have an answer, you can repeat it up to seven times. There is no need to stay in the house.

47. Jazakallah
    And when is istikhara done ?
    Is there are specific Samah time ?

I'm Sorry if I've repeated the questions several times there is an error that occurred.

48. Salaams

Is it possible to pray isthikara while acting upon smth. For example. If i was selected for a job but i am still not sure if it's the best. Can i still go to work plus pray isthikara?
    Or if i like a person, can i pray isthikara while i am in Contact with that person?

Jazak Allah khair

• Yes, you can do the thing and still pray Istikhara. Just try to be open to whatever guidance you receive from Allah Most High, and be honest about following it.

49. Thanks for this I love it may Allah bless you guys in Sha Allah