A cancer cell
My friend is suffering from brain cancer. So how can I pray for him?
You pray to him the way you should generally pray anyway. If you think there is a specific way of doing dua for this situation then know that there isn't.
Pray that Allah (swt) gives your friend shifaa and restores his/her health, enabling him/her to use it in the service of Allah. (Ameen).
There is a link at the top of this page titled Dua in Islam. Check it out inshallah.
When u offer Salah after that , pray for we being of your friend and other muslims also .
My brother/sister always pray for your friend in sujud while praying. May almighty Allah bless him/her with health and long life
Dear Tanisha, Asalaamualaykum,
I agree with 'Faith'. Many Muslims make the mistake of thinking that there is a specific formula of dua one must read for certain things, but the truth is that Allah(swt) has already given us exactly what we need to do and pray - it is simple and is what we need to be doing on a daily basis to become nearer and dearer to Allah and to strengthen our 'anti-bodies' that fight against physical and spiritual diseases. But unfortunately, alot of us ignore the obligatory and recommeded acts and want to be told that there is something 'extra' to do. Maybe this is because it is our human nature to get bored of what we hear all the time and want something new and different.
It is from Allah that I read your post last night just after a friend had texted me, asking me to help her recite one of Allah(swt)'s Names 125,000 times by Saturday because her sister in law is also suffering from Cancer. This was exactly what I replied to her: 'Its better to pray the way our Prophet(sws) taught us to pray and what you are asking me to do is not from the Sunnah. Do those things which have already been recommended.' She replied that she knew that, but she was unable to convince her family. So I said: 'Sis, if they don't listen, atleast you do the right thing'. She asked me what she should do, and this is what I recommended:
1) Do all your obligatory acts of worship and focus on improving the quality of them; i.e. Salaah, Sawm, Zakaah, Hajj
2) There are special times to make dua, please see this link for a list and an explanation:
Also make dua to Allah by calling upon Him(swt) by His(swt) beautfiul Names, they are not there to just recite like parrots. Use them, call upon Him(swt) with them, the Names have powerful meanings and are should remind us of Allah(swt)'s Unique Attributes and that we are fully dependant on Him(swt).
3) Recite Al-Quran, this is the Word of Allah and it has so much Shifa/Healing in it. Read it with understanding and with the right etiquette. There are many duas in the Quran and the following six are known as 'Duas of Shifa', because they talk of the Quran being a healing from Allah, recite these and other Quranic ayahs - recite as much Quran as you can, remember Allah(swt) says: 'Verily do hearts find rest in the rememberance of Allah'.
- "Fight against them so that Allâh will punish them by your hands and disgrace them and give you victory over them and heal the breasts of a believing people". (9:14)
- "O mankind! There has come to you a good advice from your Lord (i.e. the Qur'an, ordering all that is good and forbidding all that is evil), and a healing for that (disease of ignorance, doubt, hypocrisy and differences, etc.) in your breasts, - a guidance and a mercy (explaining lawful and unlawful things, etc.) for the believers." (10:57)
- "Then, eat of all fruits, and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)." There comes forth from their bellies, a drink of varying colour wherein is healing for men. Verily, in this is indeed a sign for people who think. (16:69)
- "And We send down from the Qur'ân that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islâmic Monotheism and act on it), and it increases the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers) nothing but loss." (17:82)
- "And when I am ill, it is He who cures me. (26:80)
- "Say: "It is a Guide and a Healing to those who believe; and for those who believe not, there is a deafness in their ears, and it is blindness in their (eyes): They are (as it were) being called from a place far distant!" (41:44)
- Narrated by 'Aisha[ra]: 'Whenever Allah's Apostle[sws] became sick, he would recite Mu'awwidhat: Surah Al-Falaq and Surah An-Nas and then blow his breath over his body. When he became seriously ill, I used to recite (these two Surahs) and rub his hands over his body hoping for its blessings'. (Al-Bukhari,Vol 6, Book 61. Virtues Of The Qur'an.Hadith 535)
- The Prophet(sws) also recommended reading 'Ayat ul Kursi' (from Surah Al Baqara 2, Verse 255) and Surah Fathiha, before sleeping and as a healing a, (I cannot find the specfic hadith right now, but there is one).
4) Stick to Dhikr of Allah like glue, so that includes the above and also the daily duas of our Prophet(sws) that he would say before/after sleeping, before/after using the toilet, before/after leaving/entering the home, before boarding a vehicle, when ascending/descending, before/after eating etc. You will find these duas in a book called: 'Fortress of the Muslim', or online: http://islamicemirate.com/resources/fortress-of-the-muslim.html
5) Duas recommended through Hadith:
- In a Hadith, Abu Sa'id al-Khudri r.a. reported that Jibril(as) came to the Prophet(sws) and said, "O Muhammad, are you sick?" He replied, "Yes." He said: "Bismillahi arqik, min kulli shay'in yu'thik, min sharri kulli nafsin aw 'ayni hasid -- 'With Allah's Name I shelter you (give you ruqyah), from all that ails you, from the evil of every soul, or that of the envious eyes. May Allah cure you; with Allah's Name I shelter you'." (Muslim and others)
6) 'Visiting the one who is sick': Furthermore, there is alot of reward in visiting the one who is sick, as this Hadith Qudsi explains:
- "O son of Adam, I fell ill and you visited Me not. He will say: O Lord, and how should I visit You when You are the Lord of the worlds? He will say: Did you not know that My servant So-and-so had fallen ill and you visited him not? Did you not know that had you visited him you would have found Me with him? O son of Adam, I asked you for food and you fed Me not. He will say: O Lord, and how should I feed You when You are the Lord of the worlds? He will say: Did you not know that My servant So-and-so asked you for food and you fed him not? Did you not know that had you fed him you would surely have found that (the reward for doing so) with Me? O son of Adam, I asked you to give Me to drink and you gave Me not to drink. He will say: O Lord, how should I give You to drink whin You are the Lord of the worlds? He will say: My servant So-and-so asked you to give him to drink and you gave him not to drink. Had you given him to drink you would have surely found that with Me."
7) 'Dua of the one who is sick' Remind your dear friend that because he is sick, his duas are so valuable, so please ask him to make dua for us too, it will be much appreciated inshaAllah. This hadith explains:
"Allah's Messenger(sws) said, "When you visit an invalid tell him to make supplication for you, for his supplication is like that of the angels." [Ibn Majah transmitted it.]
8 ) Do alot of Istigfaar and make a conscious effort to reverse anything that is negative in your life. As our sins can become barriers to the acceptance of our duas. So if you have any hatred, jealousy, anger in your heart against someone, forgive them, fight against your nafs to please Allah, give Sadaqah (voluntary charity) and try to improve your character. Do all this, as the plain reality is that we are all going to die one day, be it from an illness or just old age, so the more we please Allah, the less dis-ease we will have in he Hereafter inshaAllah - and this is our ultimate goal.
Also please remember that, Modern,Contemporary or Worldly Medicine as we may call it, is also a healing from Allah. If it were not for Allah, we would not know of these medicines, it is He(swt) who gave us the earth to live in and it is He(swt) who gives us the wisdom to find the cures and remedies too. So seek out the medicines:
The Prophet(sws) said: 'Every disease has a medication: If the medication for a particular disease is found, it will be cured with Allah's (swt) permission'. (Muslim, narrated Jabir Bin 'Abdillah (ra))
So dear Tanisha, encourage your friend, all you know and yourself to make the above a normal part of your daily routine. May Allah give us all and your friend shifa, long life and may our illnesses be an expiation for us. May we also live and dies as Muslims and may our last words be pleasing to Allah, aameen.
An after thought:
There are etiquettes on how to make dua itself. I will elaborate on this later tonight or tomorrow morning inshaAllah.
Salaam sis Z,
Is there a way that I can message you in private?
I don't like to say 'no' as in the past I have emailed sisters privately on request, but due to the long queue of questions waiting to be answered, its not fair on the others. Although if you submit your post and request it to be kept private, it will not be seen by the public, only by the Editors and I will answer it in turn inshaAllah.
Thank you for your patience in advance,
I understand, but I don't have much time left. I know it takes long to be posted and answered. It's about about a serious matter (marriage).
Sorry for the late reply, our website was experiencing some problems, but Alhumdulillah all is up and running now.
I appreciate the urgency, but still I have to try to be fair. Submit your post, request for it to be kept private if you so wish, explain why it is urgent and inshaAllah we will do our very best to repy to you in time. Let me know here when you have submitted it inshaAllah so I can go through it.
I have submitted my post sister Z.
Plz go through it if u have time, I don't have a lot of time.
Dear Sister Z,
I just am in need of your gidance and kind help?
As I have told my story and got an anser from sister Amy, but there are really some otherthings going on in life which I havent talked about that are regarding my marriage.
When I got married 13 ago I didn't know that my husband was invovlved in selling alcohol, after my marriage I started saying to him to look for Halal way of earning, but he could'nt do so or he didn't even try!
he is not a religious Muslim , he does'nt pray, just fasts and gives Zakat!
He becme abusive at little things and always blamed me even if I said that he is not doing his responsibility,he used to abuse my parents with words which I had never heard, but now our relationship is only that we hardly say one or two sentences in the whole day, I take care of the kids and they are MASHAALALLAH 9 and 7 years old and do their prayers and quran reading with me and Islamic Studies and Islamic history too , As one of my kid has mild Cerebral palsy which affects his right leg and he''s getting treatment for that, and I also have to take him to doctors and surgeries etc. I also myself have rheumatoid Arthritis and some deformed joints and I am 35.
Since it is been a recent time when I have realized that I have done some Mjor sins but I am truly remorseful for that, I am trying my best that ALLAH the Greatest forgive my sins, and I have forgiven everyone also! even my husband who doesnt treat me well!
I am not a bad person and my family is very religious and I have the knowledge of Islam because of my father, so I have been teaching in The Islamic center also, and I constantly do Dhilkr! but stilll I am
crying all the time for forgiveness in my prayers!
My question to you is about my husband's attitude and his earnings, because I am really stressful about that, how can I feel something if he doesnt even want to look at me, he has so much hate for me in his eyes even when I have done nothing to harm him not disobeyed him or anything!
I am only alive because Allah wants me to repent and to raise my kids to be good Muslims!
Because I think that I am eating from Haram Income, and is Allah going to accept my repentance!
How can I get rid of that income and what is my way out?
And can I also ask you that can I stay in touch with you becuse I don't have any friends except my sister who is also abroad! I really need some emotional support!
May Allah Reward you for your noble work! Ameen
Dear Simi, Asalaamualaykum,
I am sorry that you are having a difficult time in your marriage. Of course you can stay in touch with us here, we are here to help you inshaAllah but you must log in and submit your question as a separate post. There is a queue of questions waiting to be answered, so we will answer yours in turn once you have submitted it inshaAllah.
Click on this link to submit your question: http://www.zawaj.com/askbilqis/submit-your-question/
Sister z what happened , I was seeing error like this site may harm your device .
There was a problem with the site, but Alhumdulillah, its fixed now.
Ask Allah's forgiveness 100 times a day. If you want anything in this life you must ask for forgiveness.
May Allah bless the one who guided me to Islam and on the right path. Ameen.
1. Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
In the Name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful
2. Wanunazzilu mina alqur-ani ma huwa shifaon waraHmatun lilmu'mineena
"And We send down of the Quran that which is a healing and a mercy for those who believe."
3. Wa-itha maridtu fahuwa yashfeeni
"And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me".
4. Waqul rabbi ighfir wairham waanta khayrur rahimeena
"And (O Muhammad) say: "My Lord, forgive and have mercy, for You are the best of those who are merciful."
5. Amman yujeebu almudtarra itha daAAahu wayakshifu alssoo-a
"Who is it who answers the distressed one when he calls upon Him and removes the affliction..."
6. Qulna ya naru koonee bardan wasalaman AAala ibraheema
"We (Allah) said: "O fire, be coolness and peace upon Abraham."
7. Waayyooba ith nada rabbahu annee massaniya alddurru waanta arhamu alrrahimeena
"And Ayyub, when he called to his Lord, (saying): "Indeed adversity has afflicted me, and You are the Most Merciful of those who are merciful."
8. annee maghloobun fantasir
"..."Indeed I am overcome, so give help." "
9. la ilaha illa anta subhanaka innee kuntu mina alththalimeena
..."There is no god except You. Be You glorified. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers."
10. Faistajabna lahu wanajjaynahu mina alghammi wakathalika nunjee almu'mineena
So We responded to him, and We saved him from the anguish. And thus do We save the believers.
11. inna rabbee AAala kulli shay-in hafeethun
"...Indeed, my Lord is Guardian over all things."
12. Hasbun Allahu Wa Ni'mal Wakil
"...Allah is sufficient for us, and excellent (is He) for trusting."
13. Watawakkal AAala Allahi wakafa biAllahi wakeelan
"And put your trust in Allah. And Allah is sufficient as Trustee."
14. Alaysa Allahu bikafin AAabdahu
"Is not Allah sufficient for His slave? ... "
15. huwa mawlakum faniAAma almawla waniAAma alnnaseeru
"...He is your Protecting friend. An excellent Patron and an excellent Helper."
16. Alhamdulillahi Rabbil 'Alamin
"All praise is for Allah,the Lord of the worlds."
17. niAAma almawla waniAAma alnnaseeru
"...an excellent Protector and an excellent Helper."
18. fatabaraka Allahu ahsanul khaliqeena
"...So blessed be Allah, the best of creators."
The last phrase is not in the quran but it is mentioned in hadiths of the Prophet (s). It is recommended to say this phrase to gain relief for various problems:
La Hawla Wa La Quwwata Illah Billahil 'Ali al Azeem
"There is no might and no power except by Allah, The Most High, Most Great".
May Allah help her ... Ameen
Plz keep reading "YA SALAAMU" for any illness, may ALLAH help the ill and cure ur friend ameen.
Assalamualekum.. friends plz plz plz pray for my sister .she is suffering from breast cancer.plz friends plz