How can I use my Muslim name in Nikah, visa and Passport?

Muslim names

Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters,

I am a Filipino, i am converted Muslim since last year. I got married with my husband who is other nationality and a Muslim also. I want to use my Muslim name in our nikha and also in my new passport so that he can give me a husband visa with my Muslim name by under his name. I asked my husband about this and he agreed. I want to change my name because my name now has no any meaning and i believe that being a Muslim, its important for us that our name reflects in our beliefs as per Islam.

Now my concern is this; how can i change my name without any petition in the court? how can i use my Muslim name as my name in our marriage contract?is there anyone here knows the procedures? what would i have to do so that Shari'a court will allow me to use my converted Muslim name in our marriage contract? any way as possible please...

Lady Flower.

Tagged as: , , ,

1. ASSALAMALAIKUM-This is a matter to be dealt by a lawyer who knows to make an affadavit and submit ot the authorities and make the change of name etc etc

public will know very less about it as the rules from country to countey differ and it has ti handled by a law yer of yr country who knows thee job.
    regards

2. Lady Flower; Asaalamualaikum,

I congratulate you on your Islam.
    I think you should approach an attorney or any other legal person in your land to clarify this matter. The Sharee'ah court may accept your Muslim name for the Nikah.

On a side note, being a Muslimah, you should not suffix your husband's name with yours, this is your father's right, whether he is Muslim or not. Keep his in consideration before making any change.

Abu Abdul Bari

• Hi I am also new convert. I want to change my muslim name too. For example, if my father's name is Jun Agua then my name should be Farah Jun or Farah Agua, which will be?

Wa alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullah wa Batakatuh

3. The wise editors have given great advice. Salaam Alaikum, Sister. Most countries require a name change to be done legally. Do see a lawyer and find out what the right issue is to change name so you can get a passport. Re: surname, women do not take a husband's name in Islam as she will always be of her father's. You can change your last name to another Islamic name. I hope this helps.

4. Assalamualikum.
    Changing a christian name into a muslim one requires petition and court procedures as per Philippine Law and youve got to submit lots of documents. Changing name is not as easy. You will also encounter lots of complications when you are in a situation that your school credentials etc are needed but donot anymore bear your real name. Your question only the Philippine government can answer.
    Congratulations for your islam. just an advise, donot make decisions without carefully balancing things. You know cultural differences constitute a reason for success and failure of marriage. As most of the times, ladies are the losers.
    Insha ALLAH your marriage will be guided.

• Good morning sister can you pls message me privately in my facebook accnt want to know how you do the procedure of adding your name muslim name into your passport thanks

• We do not allow the exchange of private contact info. The sister can post the answer here, if she has one.

• Assalamu Alaikum brother..i just want to ask..ive been converted this year.and this month my conversion is out from shairah2 court..but my convert name..can I use my husband's surname since we get married here in Philippines.. and get a passport in that name..i need ur advice..waiting for ur response thank u..

• Please advice me as well. I have the same issue

• I cant find u in facebook. .Did u get a passport with ur muslim name.. Please msg me ASAP. I really need an advise

• gel please add me also in facebook.. im confuse. need help. my name is Aisha Abid with black and white half face profile pic of woman. thank u

5. Im a revert and married abroad and i want to register our married in the philippines but a muslim in philippines uses the surname of thier husband following the christian law, i wanna do what should muslim do and wanna keep my fathers name, is there any way to do that? How?

6. Can I get another passport for useng islam name and how

7. Asaalamualaikum.
    I am a Filipino converted in Islam 2years ago in Malaysia I am also wanted to used my Islam name legally in my passport and all my doccument and that make me head ache before. But Alhamdulillah I went to the office of Sharia Law in Quizon City in Philippines and asked there help,I fill up some document and then submit to them that's cost me 2500 piso for my passport name,NSO to changed your name in your passport,but if you want to changed your name totally and erase your Christian name you have to go to the Lawyer and then you cost you a lot of money... They need your parent consent and you need to do lot of document .You can used your Islam name in Passport because you registered in Sharia and you have a document.

• asalumualaikum sister. haow many days it will take to change it

• Assalam alaikum sister,

I justw ant to asks you, can I possibly do the change of name in my passport from christian name to Muslimah name even I am here in Dubai. And in that case, what will be the requirements and the name of the office you went to do the change of name in your passport. Your response will be much appreciated. Thanks

8. need passport as muslim name saira qureshi as same my muslim name approved from islamic center aldawa . i have certificate from low of saudi arabia and i m at saudi arabia with my husband dependant visa

9. Salam mulaykum Brother,

i am a Filipino converted in Islam, Me and my fiance planning to get married, i had my previews relationship and i'm married to him, But we been separated for long time but not legal.Now i'm planning to get married for Muslim man since that I've been converted to Islam. So how i can process my document to get married for my fiance in legality.And there is a possibility to change my passport name with my Islamic Name?

Mona

10. I converted to Islam and was able to use my muslim name in my PRC and passport alhamdullilah. I did not need any help from lawyer. Just get a conversion to islam certifcate secpa.

• hi enas.. could u pls guide me how to do it.. my email is *** im looking forward to hear from you. thank you and God bless. Happy new year!!

• aisha, please do not post your email address as we do not allow it. Any necessary information can be posted here, or the person can direct you to a website.

• sorry dear brother.. it seems like they are all busy to reply on how to chnage name.. pls brother if u know how pls kindly let me know. thank you.. Jazzak Allah khair..