I feel my death coming, it is frightening

sad man 300x199 %photo

Salaams I just wanted to know if you can in Islam anticipate your death coming?

It truly is a frightening experiance and i get this every day. I been told by the doctor that i have anxiety. I have been depressed for a number of years and it has led to this. I'm so sad and battling everyday with myself.

I just want to be normal and i understand everyone goes through their trials and tribulations. I just want to know what i can to relieve my symptoms. Its affecting every part of my life and my health as im getting heart palpitations and chest pain.

Please any insight would be much appreciated. Jazakallah.

- Yaasir

Tagged as: , , , , , , ,

1. sallam

Only God knows when your time is near, we humans dont know!

it does sound like you suffer from anxiety, your adrenalin rushes, heart races, your feel panicky and a dark feeling comes over you!

this is a medical issue, have you been placed on antianxiety medication? there are things that you can do to relieve stress, prayer, meditation are things which help.

im sure there are specific duas to help you brother but do not neglect your medical requirments. im sorry i dont know any specific dua however im sure there are alot of knowlagable people on this site who can direct you appropriatly inshallah

Allah hafiz

2. Salaams,

I have heard of people sensing their impending death, but usually this was because they had long battled a terminal illness or were in a crisis situation where death would be inevitable. The general sensation of feeling like death is near, day in and day out, is more symptomatic of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. In addition, people who suffer from panic attacks often describe the experience as one of feeling or fearing that they are about to die.

My husband has struggled with anxiety at times, and he said at one point, several years ago before he understood what he was going on, he felt that "the angel of death was about to come through the wall at any minute to take my life as punishment for the sins I've committed". That was a decade ago, and needless to say his fears did not come to fruition.

Anxiety and Depression are two mental disorders that often come hand in hand. Fortunately, there are treatment options for both- the most effective of which include both medication management and talk therapy. I suggest you look in your area for a reputable psychiatrist AND counselor, who can help you start taking back control of your emotions and experience of life.

-Amy

3. Salamualaikum,

Brother Yasir, do you know where your name comes from?
    Ammar bin Yasir was a Sahaabi of Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam.
    Once, the Mushrikeen plundered Yasir’s house, set fire to all their goods, and chained the whole family up. They were taken outside of Makkah to where slaves were punished and were beaten. They were stretched accross the burning sun of the desert, and heavy blocks of stone were put on top of them. Their howls of pain could be heard in Makkah, to discourage anyone else from becoming Muslim or following Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. He went to Ammar and his family when he saw the pain that the Mushrikeen of Makkah were inflicting on them. To ease this pain the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam would continuously say to them, “Patience oh family of Yasir, for you are destined for Paradise.” (Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v5, p233)

I recalled this when I saw your name. I thought it would give you strength to deal with the problems you face.

My brother, your feeling is a result of Shaitaan's interference in a Mu'min's life. He has sworn to Allah that he would lead the believing slaves of Allah astray, except the chosen slaves of Allah.
    He tries hard to lead them astray, and does not stop, until he is successful, or until he is punished.

What we are supposed to do is keep the Shaitaan at bay, using the tools given to us by Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam. There tools are duas, adhkaar, Quran, prayers and other good deeds.

Anxiety can be dealt with, by this dua.

(Allahumma inni ‘abduk, ibnu abdik, ibnu amatik, nasiyati bi-yadik, madin fiyya hukmuk, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uk , as’aluka bi-kulli ismin huwa lak, sammaita bihi nafsak, aw anzaltahu fi kitabik, aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqik, aw ist’tharta bihi fi-‘ilmil-ghaibi ‘indak an- taj’alal-Qur’an rabi’a qalbi, wa-noora sadri, wa jala’a huzni, wa dhahaba hammi)
    “Oh Allah! I am Your slave, son of Your slave and Your maidslave. My forelock is on Your Hands. I act in accordance with Your Commandments. You are just in Your Decree. I ask You by every name You have called Yourself with or You have revealed in Your Book or You taught to any of Your slaves or You kept among the unseen with You, to make the Qu’ran the life of my heart and the light of my breast and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety.”

and this:

“(Allahumma inni a’udhu bika minal-hammi wal-hazan, wal-‘ajzi wal-kasal, wal-jubni wal-bukhli, wa dal’id-Daini wa-ghalabatir-rijaal)
    O Allah, I seek refuge in you from grief and distress, old age and laziness, miserliness and cowardice. I seek Your Refuge from the burden of being in debt and from being overcome by men.”

My brother, contemplate on the meanings of these duas and feel the connection with Allah Subhaanah.

Practice all the 5 daily prayers with Khushoo', as much as possible.

Also do supplications from the book of duas called 'Fortress of the Muslim' or 'Hisn al muslim'. You can download this book from the website http://www.islamhouse.com or buy one from an Islamic Center.

Keep yourself busy in Allah's Worship. Spend time with your family, just do not give room for Shaitaan to whisper.

Be aware of Allah, get knowledge about His Beautiful Names and His Sifaat, about the Tawheed. Read the biography of Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam and his Sahaabah.

Improve and strengthen your relationship with Allah Subhaanah, contemplate on the meanings of the Quran and whatever adhkaar you supplicate.

Death is not something you should fear, brother. You should concentrate on your deen and hope from Allah that He will forgive you for your sins and will admit you to the jannah.

May Allah make it so. Aameen

This way, the Shaitaan will stay at bay and insha Allah, you will feel fine.

I hope this has helped
    Wassalamualaikum
    Muhammad Waseem

• What an amazing response, jazak Allah khayr.

• Brother, your response brought tears to my eyes, I read this just when I was feeling very low myself.This was just what I needed to read.Thank you.

• Dear Brother,

Thanks for such wonderful reply.

I am also struggling a lot within. I have a burden on my soul (Due to my grave mistake) and after realization of the same, since i am trying to improve myself as Muslim, Satan is troubling me like anything. I am fighting all alone.

Can you suggest me some duas i can recite to fight back. I need to be at peace but this satan and his whispers are causing hurdles, please guide me.

thank you.

4. salaam brother,
    unfortunately i've been feeling the same thing as you for about the past two or three weeks ): sometimes i look around if the angles of death has come to take my soul.it is a frightening experience and you can feel your heart beating twice as fast.not only that,i also feel like Allah would not forgive me for all the sins that i ahve committed in the past.hearing stories of people having the same feeling before they die also does not help.
    and as you said this feeling that you have has also been effecting your daily lives,just as it has been greatly affecting my studies.the feeling of you going to die makes you think that almost everything you do except ibadat is useless ); and everytime i do try to concentrate on my studies,automatically i'll tell myself that it is useless and that i am going to die soon anyways.
    and yes,i haven't been able to feel happy as much as i used to.it is a horrible feeling and i also often feel depressed and anxious.my mom told me that she would bring me to a psychologist for advice by the end of the month if this keeps going on.
    however,alhamdulillah the feeling of death made me drop any bad habits that i had and triggered me to do more good deeds.i've even tried to perfect my solat and finally after postponing doing taubat for so many times,i finally did ;) i also get scared if i feel or know that i have done something wrong.
    to know that you've been feeling like this is actually pretty saddening.allahualam,this could be syaitan's doings and as my mom have told me so many times,do not lose faith.
    insyaallah,you'll get better in time if you concentrate more on ibadat and do alot of good deeds for the sake of Allah.death is nothing to be scared of if your prepared for it.so try to prepare yourself as much as you can before death actually comes :)
    well i hope this makes you feel better that your not the only one.
    waalaikumsalam.

5. AOA,
    May Allah (SWT) keep everyone safe and cure all of us
    i have been suffering from this thing for the last 10 months and my life is getting ruined:(
    i also get scary dreams and every minute i keep on thinking about death my heart races i get chest pains and feel dizzy i cant go out :( i always pray to Allah to take me put this
    May Allah help all of us
    ameen

6. Dear all,

If you are going well in your life in the light of SHARIAH, then why to worry for something?

If you live (strictly) according to Islam then you should have the courage and satisfaction to welcome death any time.

7. Aslaam O Alaikum,

I have the same feelings and it has happened during namaz as well. Thank you for your replies. May Allah Pak bless us all muslims in deen and duniya.