Islamic marriage advice and family advice

Should the name be changed?

Islamic names

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am a Muslim girl. My boyfriend was hindu, now is Muslim. His name is Akshay Kumar and Muslim name is Omar. Does he has to change his name in papers or Md. Akshay Kumar will be OK? We are gonna be married very soon. That's why I am confused about the name that he should use in paper works.


Tagged as: , , ,

7 Responses »

  1. Dear sister, As-salamu alaykum,

    First, we do not have boyfriends and girlfriends in Islam, and I advise you to beware and be cautious that you are not violating any of Islam's teachings regarding behavior with the opposite sex.

    Second, I hope that brother Kumar converted to Islam sincerely, believing in Allah and His Messenger, and not only a pretense in order to marry you.

    As far as the name issue, whether he changes the name legally is up to him. It will not affect his status as a Muslim, nor the Islamic status of your marriage.

    My personal advice is that he should change his name legally now. After all, he's going to be Muslim his entire life (Insha'Allah), so he might as well begin now, and that way his Muslim name can appear on your marriage certificate and there will be no confusion later, Insha'Allah.

    Wael Editor

  2. Salamualaikum,

    Apart from what brother Wael said, the name Omar for Akshay is great. But I think Kumar will be required, as Islam keeps the names of the fathers attached to the children's.

    I was in touch with this Islamic center here. A girl reverted to Islam and changed her name to Sumaiyyah. So, she was called Sumaiyyah Naidu. Because Islam gives importance to where one comes from, I mean the lineages.

    Muhammad Waseem Editor

  3. sister please beware of fraud guys, you people has became blind in this modern world. There is no guarantee that he will remain muslim or will raise your child as a muslim. Such guys are not religious so better is to marry a boy of your own religion and please remember that chances of HIV (AIDS) is much higher with a non muslim spouse. Many hindu boys are trapping muslim girls in INDIA to spoil them and their religion by doing many haram things... so be smart and follow the islam properly.

  4. Thank you so much for your kind responses. He is trying to be a good muslim according to shariah. Because of complecated procedure he couldn't change his name in passport. Is it possible to go for hajj in future showing the certificate of being muslim?

    • Sure, its possible. Though he should be called with his father's name. Passports don't matter. And if he has a proof that he is a Muslim, he can do Hajj.

      But, though it is complicated, I think it is possible. He should probably talk to a Notary about this (a Muslim one) who could help.

      And sister, I recommend you to not keep any relation with him, and he is a non Mahram to you. If you wish to be married, let him approach your Wali and ask for you in Nikaah.

      Muhammad Waseem Editor

Leave a Response