I want to convert and marry another man, but I’m already married.

marriage divorce 300x206 %photo

Hello,

I hope someone can give me advice  about converting into a Muslim. I'm a catholic and I'm married with my husband 2 years now. The problem is that I am falling out of love with him because he acts like a child and also we've been apart for four years now. We used to see each other once a year if he will have his vacation in Philippines.

I met him thru chat, and he's the one who was in a hurry to marry me while I wasn't ready for that time yet. I have loved him but he is not that responsible to me as a husband, and that caused me to fall out of love with him.  I met this man who is my friend and he is a Muslim from Saudi. Everything I am looking for in a husband i found it in him, and he treats me like a queen. He knows that I'm married and he knows every little detail I'm having with my husband. He wants to marry me, and I already love this guy.  He's always there for me and we used to see each other 4 times a month because he's a pilot.

The problem now is that my visa to my husband in theUK was released already just last month, and I'm so cold with my husband and he knows that and he can feel it. He loves me so much I can see, but he never became or showed me his responsibility as a husband. My boyfriend the muslim told me to go there in the UK because it will be easy for him to get me from there and he told me that if I will convert to Islam and marry him I will no longer  be married to my husband.  Is it really true? And do you think its against the law? I'm concerned that my husband might file a case against me for"bigamy".

I don't know what to do, help please.  I want to know if I convert to be a muslim and marry my boyfriend, will the marriage I have with my husband  no longer be certified? Sorry for my English.

~NeftumPhoenim

Tagged as: , , , , , ,

1. Salaams,

I hope I can help bring some clarity to your situation. I'm sure from your perspective it seems rather confusing and complicated, but in reality it is probably a lot simpler.

The first issue I would like to address is about the person you are interested in, the Muslim man. I would like to say right away that even though he is Muslim, he is not practicing Islam. You see, if he was truly trying to live his life the way God willed it, he would have ceased all contact with you from the moment he found out you were married. Instead, he has continued to correspond with you and even visit you. Those behaviors are strictly forbidden in Islam, so for him to go against what he knows he should be doing tells a lot about his character. Ask yourself this question: Do you really want to marry someone who is only a Muslim in name only? Would you want to marry someone who is possibly quite capable of not honoring you as a wife, and is seemingly quite likely to cheat on you? I hate to say it, but someone who doesn't guard their modesty before marriage, is not so likely to guard it afterwards. Coupling that with the fact that he is a pilot and will be away from you a lot due to work, and further exposed to opportunities to meet other females, the chances are lowered that he will be a dutiful husband to you as he should be. As it stands right now, I would seriously have to question whether or not he already has a wife in his country of origin. Unfortunately, many times men like these already have wives and are picking up second, third, even fourth ones internationally and causing grief to all the women involved once the truth comes out.

My advice to you is this: if you want to convert to Islam, do it because you want to be a Muslim from the heart. Don't do it just to be with someone, because in all actuality it's not "required" for you to be a Muslim to marry one. Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian and Jewish women with no problem, so if he is telling you that you must convert to marry him he is showing another error in his understanding of Islam. If you really want to find out the truth about our Creator, and what He has revealed as His plan for us under Islam, by all means continue to learn about it and then make the decision to follow this path because you sincerely wish to.

As far as your current marriage: I hate to say it, but regardless of how bad it is you are still married and even according to Catholicism you should not be taking a romantic interest or meeting with other men. It is considered inappropriate behavior even in your current faith, so there is no excuse for you to continue it on any level. If you don't want to be married to your current husband, then divorce him. It's as simple as that. It really should have nothing to do with visas or potential remarriages, but what you want for yourself. You have to ask yourself this: if you had never met this Muslim guy, what would you be doing with your current husband right now? Would you be going along with him to UK just because you don't really want to go through the trouble of divorcing? Then that's what you should do. If you would've ended the marriage with him before getting stuck with him over there, that's what you should do. Your decision to end your marriage or stay in it should be decided without this Muslim guy being a factor at all.

Finally, to answer your question about the divorce being nullified if you do convert: If you become a Muslim, and your current husband is not a Muslim, then he has a specific timeframe (I believe it is 3 months) to decide whether he wants to convert as well, or not. If he decided to convert within that time, then your marriage continues as it would under any other circumstances. If he decides not to convert, then after that timeframe expires your marriage is considered invalid ISLAMICALLY. This means in the eyes of Allah, you are no longer married and are free to remarry anyone. However, it does not mean that you will be automatically divorced according to whichever law or country you married under, so in that sense your husband could very well bring a bigamy case against you if you remarried (even Islamically) without completing a civil divorce from him. In Islam, an Islamic marriage and a civil marriage are not one in the same, and so they have to be dealt with separately. So to answer the issue of what this Muslim man has told you: No, the moment you become Muslim is not the moment your marriage becomes nullified. It has to be dealt with as I outlined above.

You have quite a bit to think about. First, think about what you want for your own life- what kind of person do you want to be? What kind of relationship do you want to have with your Creator? Do you believe Islam will bring you where you want to be? After you've answered those questions and made those decisions, then you can decide how you want to handle your current marriage. Only if you find yourself single again should you be looking at other relationship possibilities, and that's the truth whether you become Muslim or not.

-Amy

• Dear Amy,

Having seen your reply, it seems you can help me to get the solution of my problem.. I am having a similar case as Neftum has but i am a male.. I am married to a girl last year but she left me after staying with me for 3 months..My marriage is registered in temple as per indian law (we have to register marriage in temple where marriage solmnized and later it can be register in Indian marriage court.).. But we havenot registered the previous marriage in Court however the marriage is legal as per indian law, Now, i am converted muslim and want to marry a muslim girl. Is it legal if i marry to her? However as per islam i can keep 3 wives.

2. Please refer to this issue: http://www.islamqa.com/en/pda/ref/islamqa/4775

It has the same issue as yours, and the solution. The only difference is that the Christian girl in this case reverts to Islam based on her research. But in your case, it is driven by love.

Anyways, if you are convinced with Islam as your Religion, then revert to Islam and follow what the Ulama (scholars of Islam) say in the above link.

MAy Allah Guide yo to His True Path
    Aameen
    Muhammad Waseem Saifullah

3. hey all muslims and non-muslims. Listen me. Read quran 4;77 and 67;2. Allah testing us. Don.t believe this world only. We have endless world in paradise. And you must must must search in internet. That key word is 'quran miracle'if you a human. You should she that verse and involve in research quran miracle.

4. Assalam!

Its been two years I converted into Islam, when I was working in saudi arabia, I found out in my heart that islam is my true religion....At the same time Its been 7years ago also that i dont have any communication w my husband...he left wo any words...I raise my son alone when he left...

After 5months of converting to islam, I met a muslim man, he is nice and religious.. After my contract in saudi I came back home to Philippines and my muslim man came along w me in Golden mosque Quiapo mosque to inquire on how we are going to marry...

I presented my stories that i was a christian before and i was married, Its been 7 years ago that i never be together w my husband...despite that i beg him to come and see my son he never appeal...Immediately the Imam solemnized me and my muslim man and pronounced we are married...

Is my marriage is valid? Pls help me for my query...Thanks and God bless!!

• Aisha, from an Islamic perspective, your marriage is valid. Your conversion to Islam invalidated your previous marriage. I'm assuming that you met other conditions such as having two witnesses and payment of the mahr. However, you still need to secure a legal divorce in the Philippines, so that you can marry your new husband according to Philipino law.

If you need further advice, please log in and write your question as a separate post, thank you.

5. Brother wael, there are different opinions regarding the issue... Some schoolers, her with her first marriage is still valid, untill she returns his bridal money to him and divorce him (she can even divorce him by saying it to him verbally. Ie, telling him something like "i divorce you and i dissolve this marriage"). But the condition is she has to return his bridal money to him.

Some other schoolers go with the opinion that her marriage with her first husband i annuled, going by the condition that is surrounding the marriage, her conversion to is, and there long separation..

But the correct opinion is that there is no marriage between here and her first husband. Reason being a muslim woman can only marry a muslim man, but a muslim man has the option to marry nonmuslim women.

6. @wael, i edited parts of my comment, but it didnt appear on the page

7. Salam,
    Seems very like what I'm going through. Just cut all contact with this other man. It's not worth messing with your marriage. If you want to convert to Islam from you heart go ahead other wise don't. Good luck!!!

8. Assalam!

Its been two months since i convert to Islam and I met a muslim man and he want to marry me in the Philippines. Can we marry in islamic marriage even if I married before in a Christian husband? Also, I have not seen my husband for 18 years now and i dont know his whereabouts?

His family will be coming here to arrange our marriage? Will it be valid? Please help me.

9. i am already convert to muslim and we are planning to get married in islam what are the documents we need to able to marry each other here in uae but im seperated with my christian husband

10. good day,i just wanna ask if the same filipino we"re both marriage here in the philippines can remarry in dubai U.A.E if they we're convert to muslim?pls reply to my email.because i found out my husband planning to remarry to his filipina mistress.

• Alice,

If you have already converted to Islam and so has your husband, you can remarry in Dubai by doing a Nikah.

Why is your husband marrying someone else? I think you will have to mention that clearly in order to get the correct response. Please login and create a new post with some details. In sha Allah, we will publish it in turn.

Abu Abdul Bari

11. i found out my husband have a filipina gf in dubai.some one told me if they convert to muslim they can remarry.i just want it to know if it possible?

• Assalaamualaikam

Polygamy is permitted in Islam (although not universally practised or required), so it is allowed for men who revert to Islam to marry again and have up to four wives. What is not acceptable is for a Muslim man to have extra-marital relations. By formalising relationships by marriage, the rights and responsibilities of all parties are defined and protected.

There is far more to Islam, though - it is a faith of peace, equality, justice and truth, and immensely rewarding. Do not allow yourself to be blinded by negative media propaganda - I would encourage you to learn more about Islam and the positive effects on the world and the individual. For example, in a society where women were frequently treated as little more than commodities, Islam established rights for women to inherit property, choose to marry, choose to divorce, testify in legal cases...

I hope that you are able to find peace. If you require more in-depth information, please submit a post and we shall answer it in turn, inshaAllah.

Midnightmoon
      IslamicAnswers.com editor

12. hi,
    i am a catholic born i have a husband i left 5 years ago because on the 3 yrs of our relationship he had 5 ladies and 3 he had a kids, for 3 years i was crazy of holding our relationship to think that my daughter dont have a father,but my heart did not carry that much! my ego kills me,now i am here in dubai 5 yrs no communication no support to our child from his side and he did not even seen her for 5 yrs, now i meet this Muslim man i decided to convert to muslim not because i want to marry him and he want to marry me i want it as i can feel peace and clear of mind when i here a prayer i just close my eyes and its like a great heal to my self!!!

we want to live with bleesing of Allah but i am still tied on a piece of paper.
    please enlighten me....i am soo despirate to live peacefully but still i have those....

• Hello Lee,

It is great to hear this. Indeed, prayer is soothing to hear. Then just imagine yourself praying, how great the experience?

Sister, if you believe in Allah as your Only God and Muhammad peace be on him as His Final Messenger, then you are ready to become a Muslim. You can approach an Islamic Center or a Mosque in Dubai to pronounce the Shahaadah and get a certificate for having reverted to Islam.

Shahaadah includes two testimonies: That there is none worthy of worship but Allah, and that Prophet Muhammad peace be on him is His Servant and His Final Messenger.

And sister, when you become a Muslim, according to Islamic Law, you must wait 3 months (which is supposed to be time for your Christian husband to think about Islam). After three months, your marriage is considered void as per Islam. You will be allowed to marry a Muslim man then, because a Muslim lady can't marry or remain married a non Muslim.

I welcome you to Islam, the only Religion acceptable with the Only True God.

If you need further advise, please submit a new post after logging in.

Abu Abdul Bari

13. Salam,

I am married back in philippines last 2008 , but our marriage not work out maybe because we are young and hurry that time. Almost 3 years now we seperated, i'm here working abroad and as i talk to him he tell me that he want to be free again so i gave to him his will.

Im planning to convert to muslim not because i want to get married maybe in future yes ! But i been confuse if its possible to get married without annulled? As you know in philippines divorced dont exist and its expensive and time consumed.

Is it true as per my reading here , its possible to get married again.?
    How ,where,when,?

THank you in advance..

• ayesha, yes, if you convert to Islam it will annul your previous marriage (from an Islamic perspective), and you can marry a Muslim. As far as the legal situation in the Philippines that's another matter and you may have to pursue annulment in the courts there or however it is done.

14. Can a christian husband convert to Islam just so he can take back his wife who converted to Islam and married another man? Can he let his wife be condemn ?

• Emie, you could convert to Islam, but whether your wife chooses to leave that other man and remarry you is up to her. And since you are describing a conversion that is not sincere, I doubt she would do that. I'm sorry that you lost your wife, but you have to let her go. The two of you are on different paths.

• Dear Brother Wael,

I am sorry, i know i shouldn't ask here but as i am new to this site and yet to understand its working, hence i am bothering you asking here that i have put up a post from my mail id and status of it as of now is -pending. Has it been accepted? How much time will it take to get published? I am in urgent need of advice hence asking, please guide. thank you.

• I am asking for anulment but shes not cooperating, so i think i have to make something that will make her regret..to convert to islam and condemn her. I can also file bigamy to court.. Am i right? As Islam u should proscribed Islam women who have multiple husbands.

I dnt feel love anymore to her, what i want is for her to suffer the consequences..Islam must not tolerate woman committing such act..it is haram.

via Mac iPad

• Trust me, she's going to have to regret this sooner or later. But as a disbeliever, your regrets will never end, while if she stays and dies a Muslim, her regrets will one day end.

So in that case she will have the advantage over you.

I suggest you convert to Islam yourself, marry someone better than her and be better than her. That way, you will have the permanent advantage.

And you can take your right from her in the akhirah. This is a narration among the narrations that were revealed to us concerning justice. Don't worry-God sides with the wronged.

However, you are committing a great injustice which is failing to follow the first commandment. This is an injustice that is never forgiven unless you repent before it is too late and the matter has been decided.

You need to enter Islam. Only than can any revenge you get on her be meaningful.

Imam Ahmad recorded that `Abdullah bin Muhammad bin `Aqil heard Jabir bin `Abdullah say, "I was told about a Hadith which a man heard from the Prophet , so I bought a camel and put my saddle on it, then I traveled on it for a month until I came to Ash-Sham, where `Abdullah bin Unays was. I said to the doorkeeper, `Tell him that Jabir is at the door.' He said, `Jabir bin `Abdullah' I said, `Yes.' So he came out, still putting his garment on, and embraced me, and I embraced him, and said: `I heard a Hadith narrated by you, that you heard from the Messenger of Allah about reciprocal punishments. I was afraid that you or I would die before I could hear it.' He said, `I heard the Messenger of Allah say:

«يَحْشُرُ اللهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ النَّاسَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ أَوْ قَالَ: الْعِبَادَ عُرَاةً غُرْلًا بُهْمًا»

(Allah will gather the people -- or His servants -- on the Day of Resurrection, naked, uncircumcised and Buhman.) I asked, `What is Buhman' He said,

لَيْسَ مَعَهُمْ شَيْءٌ، ثُمَّ يُنَادِيهِمْ بِصَوْتٍ يَسْمَعُهُ مَنْ بَعُدَ كَمَا يَسْمَعُهُ مَنْ قَرُبَ: أَنَا الْمَلِكُ، أَنَا الدَّيَّانُ لَا يَنْبَغِي لِأَحَدٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ النَّارِ أَنْ يَدْخُلَ النَّارَ وَلَهُ عِنْدَ أَحَدٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْجَنَّةِ حَقٌّ حَتَّى أُقِصَّهُ مِنْهُ، وَلَا يَنْبَغِي لِأَحَدٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْجَنَّةِ أَنْ يَدْخُلَ الْجَنَّةَ وَلَهُ عِنْدَ رَجُلٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ النَّارِ حَقٌّ حَتَّى أُقِصَّهُ مِنْهُ حَتَّى اللَّطْمَة»

(They will have nothing with them. Then a voice will call out to them that will be heard by those far away just as easily as it will be heard by those near: "I am the Sovereign, I am the Judge. None of the people of Hell should enter Hell if he is owed something by one of the people of Paradise, until I have settled the matter, and none of the people of Paradise should enter Paradise if he is owed something by one of the people of Hell, until I settle the matter -- even if it is only the case of a slap.'')

We said, `How will that be, when we have come before Allah barefooted, naked, uncircumcised and having nothing with us' He said,

«بِالْحَسَنَاتِ وَالسَّيِّئَات»

(By ﴿merit for﴾ good deeds, and ﴿recompense﴾ for evil deeds.)

With that said.....forgiveness is even better for you.

15. I am hoping for a JUST answer.

16. Do you, as Islam tolerate christians to be using Islam in committing bigamy and adultery? They get married without posting a notice. If they did it right she should divorce me before she married an Islam man. Yes she thought that her marriage with me is dissolve but only in "islamic way" but i am sure i can still file cases against her in our country because she didnt do it legally..am i right?

• Emie, it sounds like your wife did things the wrong way. Upon accepting Islam there is a waiting period before her marriage to you is dissolved. During that waiting period she is supposed to remain in your home, and give you a chance to accept Islam as well, to preserve the marriage. She is definitely not supposed to be with any other man during that time.

As far as filing a case against her, I don't know the law in your country. You should consult a lawyer.

• Isn't it that they don't have to remain in the home but they do have to wait the idda? And she should definitely have gotten a proper civil divorce. This man has a right to take her to court for whatever.

17. i was married to a christian woman before i converted to islam, my wife had cheated on me and i wanted to divorce her, i have also met the woman whom i think deserve the love and respect from me and i plan to marry her.is it possible for me to divorce my first wife and get married again

18. good day e i was married to a a catholic man last 2005,after 2 years of marriage he became cold to me but i still hold on with our marriage until year 2009 i found out that he has another girl and they live in one roof and found out also that they have kid but i still hold on i decided to be with him again on the months of being togethere he keeps on punching me and hit me every time he gets mad..i dont know what he wants...i decided to let him go i sepated to him 2010 of april until now..i was planning to convert in islam not bcoz i want to remarry again but im not closing my door i just want our marriage to be void in any way because i really dont wanna get involve in anything and everything about him...what should i do and where will i go here in the philippines so i can get my convertion...

19. Hello! I have enormous questions regarding conversion to Islam. I am married to a man whom i lived in with for almost 12 years. I was married year 2011. my husband and i have 2 children but just 2 mos after our marriage i learned that he was womanizing and had an affair with my sister. it torn me into pieces which led me to work to here in uae for my children. despite the things he has done i still treat him civil but my love for him is no longer there. Then i met a man whose totally way ahead of my husband unfortunately he is also a married man but he cut relationship with his wife after discovering that 2 mos after he left philippines she cheated with another man. we are both on the same situation where in both of us have been hurt by our partners. we want to be annuled from country but we know it will take ages for it to be granted. We aspire of becoming muslims to be married and live in peace with our new religion without our ex partners bothering us again. Is it possible in out case to be married? what are the requiremnts in converting from christian to islam and how long does it take for us to become muslims??
    your answer is really a huge help to us. thank you so much

• Assalaamualaikam

The only true requirement in order to become a Muslim is that you truly believe in your heart that there is no God but Allah and The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His Messenger.

I would urge you, though, to seriously consider all aspects of Islam - if you accept Islam, then it influences every action you make - this isn't a "once a week and at holidays" religion.

While a Muslim man can, under certain conditions, have more than one wife, a Muslim woman must have only one husband, who must be a Muslim man. If you both accept Islam because of true faith in its teachings, then you could speak with local scholars regarding the issue of marriage. Being Muslim won't automatically mean you can get married - this is a complex issue that needs discussed with local scholars.

If you require additional advice, please log in and submit your query as a new post for publication, so it can be answered in turn, inshaAllah.

Midnightmoon
      IslamicAnswers.com editor

20. salam...

this "conversion" matter really hurts me.. please don't use our religion just to escape from your issues.. if you really want to be a convert then do it in the name of ALLAH and not for other reason..

i am a certified Shariah lawyer base in the Philippines..

i am willing to give free legal advice if i could see that your conversion to Islam is sincere..

Sukhran

• (Your comment has been deleted. Please register and submit your question as a separate post, and we will answer you in turn. However, I must tell you that we are not lawyers and cannot advise you on legal matters. - IslamicAnswers.com Editor)

21. Im enlightened with all this conversation and im submitted myself to convert to muslim and have peace in my heart pls help v. Hi nam I need guidance shokran

22. I am a filipina woman working in Uae for 7 years. I'm a catholic and married for 14 years but separated for 8 years. My filipino husband still connected to me because of my childrens support. I'm not file an annulment still now. I had a bangladesh boyfriend for 2 years and we are planning to marry, its is possible that i convert to islam and marry him here in uae without annulment?
    I need an advice,,,Thank you!

• Salaams,

This is a legal question, and we do not offer legal advice on this website. You would need to speak with attorneys in both UAE and Phillipines to get a precise answer. Speaking generally, converting to Islam shouldn't be a requirement to marry, as muslim men are permitted to marry christian women.

-Amy
      IslamicAnswers.com

23. Hello...

[Editor's note: Please submit your question as a new post for publication rather than as a comment on an existing post. That way it can be published and answered in turn, inshaAllah.]

24. Im a filipina who's been separated with my catholic husband for 7 yrs now..we have 2 kids whos with me..he never gave support n lastly I've heard from his cousins hes having another woman with 1 kid now..i want to convert to islam not just to marry a muslim guy but as I noticed all my friends were so happy with there live
    s now as amuslim..i want to have peace n be happy...my question is it possible to remarry my muslim bf now that were both muslim eve im not fully annuled yet?how long I nid to wait to remarry?is that months to wait is valid to remarry here n dubai court even i dont have necessary papers to show that im annuled as long that month duration is over?

• kristelle, after you convert to Islam there will be an 'iddah (waiting period) during which time you must give your husband the opportunity to embrace Islam as well, in which case you will remain married to him. After the iddah is complete, you are free Islamically to marry someone else. As far as Dubai law, I do not know. We have answered many questions similar to yours. Please search our archives.

• salam, if you said you are A filipina, you will need to get your first marriage a declaration of nullity or annulment, before you can legally enter into a second marriage, otherwise, here in the philippines you shall still be considered married..if you are true regarding your conversion then inshaAllah, that same religion of being muslim is also the only way which can declare you marriage be declared dissolved, but that is only upon the approval of your former husband to embrace islam too..in which case you shall be covered by the philippine shariah law.

• hasna, please do not share your private contact information or advertise your business here. If you want to advise people then do it sincerely for the sake of Allah.

• Wasalam wael, indeed i am sincere in helping, one of our goal is to let non-muslim see that instead of using Islam as they way of escape, they will see it as the real religion that makes things life easy, initially they may really "use" it to cover up their issues, however, it is not us who shall judge it whether it is true to their heart that they want to embrace islam...what our job now is to continue giving them assistant in seeking knowledge about what really islam is, giving them dahwah...and inshaAllah, they will become practising muslims...

25. ...

26. Hi, good day everyone! I have read some of the concerns here posted by our brothers and sisters. I understand that after going through a process of conversion to Islam , it is stated here that you can remarry again. How it can be possible when your first marriage in Christian rites is still existing and valid? Does getting a second marriage in Islam doesn't require any documents to prove that you're capable of re- marrying and is free from whatever illegalities? Hope you can enlighten all our minds by having a specific answers to these questions. Thank you in advance and more power!

27. Salam,

It is indeed sad to think that most of our friends in other faith tend to make conversion to islam an escape goat to their bitter sweet marriages. However, Allah knows best and we are not to judge them. Everything that happens to us is the WILL of Allah.
    To clarify Janah's question I do believe that ROMM (registry of muslim marriage) requires a certificate that states u r single or free from any ties before one can legally marry. However, it is also clear that conversion to islam invalidates one's previous marriage (other faith) unless the (Christian ) husband/wife decided to convert within Idda period (within 3 month after conversion).
    I hope I was able to help clarify a bit.