Does a Christian woman have to convert to marry a Muslim man

moon crescent cross

I am a practising Australian Christian woman. I was married in a Catholic Church and I have two children from that relationship. My husband passed away in 2012.

I have been in a relationship with a Muslim man for three years. He has asked me to marry him and his family want us to do a nikkah. I am aware our relationship is considered haram and we have committed zina but I love him very much and could not imagine my life without him now. We were supposed to do the nikkah this weekend but only two days ago his family member was going over what would take place and said I would have to convert straight before the nikkah as I would have to read the Koran and could not without first converting. It sounded like a formality but I would not feel comfortable doing that unless I really understood and believed in Islam. Although I believe God and Allah are the same God. My fiancé always told me I would not have to convert and the research I did led me to the same belief. When I told her this she said she wasn't entirely sure but that was what she was told. My fiancé is going to speak to the imam and I asked that if I do have to convert that it be postponed so that I can read more about Islam. Can anyone advise me on this please? From what I have read it seems the definition of chaste is what stands in the way and the interpretation differs. I have read that Muslim men can marry "chaste" women of the book." (Christians and Jews)  I just don't feel like marriage would be the right reason to convert.

rebekah

Tagged as: , , , , , , ,

1. Let there be no compulsion in religion, the truth is clear from the falsehood....

This is from The Quran and in the life of prophet Mohammed he never forced anyone to convert to Islam because as you said the conversion will be meaningless for themselves and for Islam if the person does not know what they are converting for...

As For rulings like can a Muslim man marry a Christian woman I feel like this is a advice and questioning forum and your question relate to laws and edicts which majority of people would Not want to speak on behalf of God and those Questions should be directed to the right place. Saying that there is islamqa.info where the scholar has most probably answered your particular question as it would be very common thing. Sorry to hear the loss Of your husband.

2. Bismillah
    May Allah forgive me if i say something wrong, please double check with other people.
    But as far as i know with my limited knowledge. If you believe jesus was a prophet, then you are christian. But if you believe he was god or son of god, islam doesn’t consider you christian as that would be considered shirk ( holding someone/ something equal to Allah). So technically speaking that marriage would not be allowed in islam.

Please check with more knowledgeable people!!

3. You should never convert to any religion because somebody demands of you to do it. It saddens me that there are Muslims out there that think Islam is so cheap and meaningless that all it takes to become a Muslim is to utter the shahada without your heart and mind truly in it. That's disgusting, in all honesty.

And what a nerve, too! What a NERVE to demand of someone that they change their religion! I'm glad to hear you questioned this demand instead of following suit...these people misguided you, and you caught up to it. Well done.

If you don't want to convert to Islam, be honest about it to your boyfriend and his family. Don't even tell them that you are willing to look into Islam (if you are), because they will just take it upon themselves to "educate" you - i.e feed your THEIR alternative interpretation of Islam.

Good luck with it all.

• Lindita

You most of posts are accusing muslims for so and so and generalizing everybody with negative remarks .
      Rather than pointing fingers you could have explained her the religion and invited her to the religion .

You need to look into yourself and find what is wrong with you as your posts are not constructive .